1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Mathematics in China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by mathewduxbury, Aug 16, 2019.

1. mathewduxbury

mathewduxbury New commenter

I've recently been contacted by a company with regards to teaching in China - specifically 16-19 teaching the British Curriculum. It seems a really good opportunity. I have no idea about anything over there, has anybody got anything they can tell me regarding pros/cons. Things I should worry about? Things I should prepare if I were interested? Or any major hesitations and big no nos people have? I.e Should I return to the UK could this be detrimental to any career back home?

Thanks in advance for all your advice

Dux

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

First I would change your photo if it is you and user ID if it is close to your name.

By looking at the scant information this does not look like a top school.
    A school looking for staff now is a bad sign.
    How did this company get your information, did you contact them?
    A school using an agency is a bad sign that it can not recruit its own staff, a bad sign.
    16-19 British Curriculum sounds like its a Bilingual School for Chinese Students.

Then search on Working In China as I may have made a few posts on the subject.

harpplayer and hplovegame48 like this.
  3. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

I have never worked in China and don't know how to sort the wheat from the chaff there.

What I would say is whether experience there or anywhere enhances your CV or not depends on how you sell itin future applications. Some individual HTs might see it as a negative, some as a positive. Maths teachers are sought after anyway so i don't think you'd find it difficult on your return to find a job. And you might decide not to return.

Good luck.

4. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

If you know the school name, check on ISR. If they haven't given you the school name, be very wary.

harpplayer likes this.
  5. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

6. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

Are you still looking? If so, why? You'll be easy to flatter and take advantage of, the agency knows it and they will. They know you will be desperate.

All the above from earlier posters is wise advice / questions. Also, remember remember, remember. No one is there to do you any favours at all. The agency will talk you and the school up higher than Mount Everest - they are not interested in you, only their fee. Do not be suckered. Believe nothing they tell you. Be cynical. Be careful about contracts, about working on a tourist visa (they might tell you they will sort it out when you arrive because it's all a rush and they need you immediately because someone has fallen ill - it's you who will be jailed and kicked out the country if there is a crackdown, not the school personnel or agency). A typical process for getting the right visa for China I gather can take two months or more - don't rush it. Trust no one. Don't do anything without a clear contract in English, and don't trust the contract!

Join ISR now without fail. You will get better advice there.

7. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'Join ISR now without fail. You will get better advice there.'

You don't get advice on ISR as such you get people posting their experiences and in many cases these are people with an axe to grind or those who feel they have been badly treated. Yes, there are some real reviews but you have to be careful and read between the lines.

Secondly this sounds like one of the pre-university crammers - these are for students who have finished the Chinese national programme but would like to study abroad at university. The students will have basic secondary school English, they will then usually do a three year course at one of these crammers, This often comprises a year of preparation (can be IGCSE in their chosen subjects for a year plus more English) then they push them through A levels or AP depending on their preference. Then its off to the UK or US to university. From my experience the students are often bright and hardworking but it is not rewarding for student or teacher but then its not meant to be, its a means to an end for both! These institutions are often based in the buildings of an existing Chinese school or university and can be a bit meh!

You pay your money and you take your choice!

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, I must agree with makhnovite. The ISR is really pretty unreliable (and often out-of-date) and some reviews are downright vicious. I suppose some information is better than none at all and of course the ISR reviews that I wrote are 100% reliable.

Yes, it is not wise to use your own photo or your own name on this TES forum. (Incidentally, I did not take this photo of me and my dear wife having a little chat in the bath.)

On the subject of China, I think that just about everyone knows that Mr. and Mrs. Hippopotamus very much enjoyed their five years in the Middle Kingdom. Mrs. H. did have some health problems re. the air pollution, but otherwise we liked it. The trials and tribulations of banking in China are not to be underestimated.

harpplayer likes this.
  9. harpplayer

harpplayer New commenter

'I suppose some information is better than none at all'

I totally agree. I assumed that anyone reading ISR reviews are able to take them with a pinch of salt, but it's still useful to see what axes are being grinded.

10. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

A pinch? A whole salt mine would not be enough for some of the ISR reviews.