1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Marxist lit crit: any ideas for poems / relevant extracts from novels?

Discussion in 'English' started by PETERPIPER, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I've just started teaching an A2 unit (AQA) which requires me to teach pupils the basics of Feminist and Marxist literary theory. I've done the feminist teaching now, but wondered if any kind soul who knows anything about Marxism could recommend some poems I could look at in class from a Marxist perspective? Or perhaps some ideas of where I could find a relevant extract in a novel.
    Thanks very much,
    PP

2. Hi everyone,
    I've just started teaching an A2 unit (AQA) which requires me to teach pupils the basics of Feminist and Marxist literary theory. I've done the feminist teaching now, but wondered if any kind soul who knows anything about Marxism could recommend some poems I could look at in class from a Marxist perspective? Or perhaps some ideas of where I could find a relevant extract in a novel.
    Thanks very much,
    PP

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

I bought myself Davidoff and Hall, Family Fortunes: Men and Women of the English Middle-Class 1780-1850, for my lit crit course, as I was short of historical explanations for class gendering in Jane Eyre. , blah,blah, I did notice they use William Cowper alot to set the Evangelical scene at the time, "The Task" being a chosen poem (I think).

4. sianna

sianna New commenter

personal message me with an email address and i'll send you materials - an intro to marxism and associated texts ... the rime of the ancient mariner works well (slavery, french revolution, industrial revolution) as does jane eyre, the great gatsby ... and on and on and on ...

5. sianna

sianna New commenter

and heart of darkness ...

6. There's the Austen one too - Mansfield Park.

7. Awesome. Thanks so much. Sianna- you are a star. I'll PM you in two secs. Sublimeobject - I've never heard of chartist poetry!!! Oh dear - off to Google it...

8. "The Charge of the Light Brigade" is effective as a simplistic propaganda tool. Plays by Arthur Miller, especially "Death of a Salesman". "The Bible" would be interesting although such analysis would probably start moving into semiotics. Dckens (though I hate the extrememely detailed descriptions) was, of course, a product of the Industrial revolution and empire and his work reflects this heritage. Shelley's "Song to the Men of England" and "The Mask of Anarchy". Hope that helps.

9. duh moment - I meant "the use of symbolism" when I wrote "semiotics".

10. Hi
    I was wondering if you could email me your suggestions on Marxism too
    jane.gleaves@tewkesburyschool.org
    I suspect my pupils will want to uas The Great Gatsby but I'd love some extra ideas.
    Many thanks
    Jane

11. Some of the best responses I've had for LITB4 this year have turned things on their head e.g. a marxist reading of a not-particularly-marxist text! I think it is important that the students really enjoy the text they select and so I let them chose themselves, though I then 'approve' it.