1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Macbeth for GCSE - ideas/resources

Discussion in 'English' started by Jules_English, Nov 1, 2008.

1. I start teaching Macbeth in a week or so to my GCSE group who are doing the AQA (mature) syllabus.
    The group is a mixture of students resitting their GCSE and adult learners who have never come across Shakespeare before.
    Its been a while since I've taught Macbeth and I'd really appreciate any pointers/resources that people may have and don't mind passing on. I wanted to include some kind of intro to Shakespeare but we're going to be pushed for time so if anyone has any ideas for that that would be great too.

The play is being used as a coursework text and we don't have long to study it (4 x 2 hour sessions I think!) so suggestions for coursework titles would be greatly appreciated too.

2. I have a scheme of work that uses the BFI Macbeth resource that has clips from the Welles (1948), Nunn (Mckellen and Dench) (1978) and Bodganov for Channel 4 (1998). I give notes on the play as a whole, use clips, read key speeches and get them to do the En2 Reading assessment as an oral having planned an essay on how Macbeth changes as a character. All the paper resources are available, I don't have a copy of the video to send.

3. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

ArthurDent: don't suppose you could send me those resources on Macbeth? I would be most grateful :))

nataliecvfry@yahoo.it

4. samd

samd New commenter

If you still need. I have some Smart Board stuff that uses lots of video from RSC and BBC websites to breakup the text. Let me know whether you want it or not. Sam

5. That would be great thanks - my email address is:
    j_s_haworth@hotmail.com

6. emmylou21

emmylou21 New commenter

Hi ArthurDent,

I too am on the look out for Macbeth SoW and resources for my year 10. I was wondering if there is any chance you could provide me with your Macbeth stuff?

I would be extremely thankful (as an NQT I am lacking resources).

ewould@hotmail.com

Thanks

7. I'll post the stuff at the weekend.

8. Hi sent you both some stuff but not sure how good it will be for Y10, might be able to adapt it thou.

9. Not sure if anyone has sent me anything but I've not received anything to my hotmail ID.
    I'm still desperate for any ideas/resources on Macbeth and have just found out my first lesson on it next week is going to be observed!! Help!!

10. Hi Jules,
    Do you have any short versions of the play that the students could read? I've found that's the best way in as they know who the characters are and what the plot is. When I've taught Macbeth, one of the first things I do is talk to them about the line 'fair is foul & foul is fair' - that way they get one of the main themes straight away & it helps them to spot the idea of appearances being decieving all the way through...
    Hope this helps - good luck with your observation.

11. Thanks for that - I got your email :)
    I don't have any short versions of the play unfortunately and probably can't scrabble something together by Tuesday.
    Also if anyone has any general intro to Shakespeare type material for students that have never studied it before that would be really really useful too :)

12. hi new to the Tes forum could youi tell me where to find this resource?

or email it to me

at cally0163@hotmail.com

thanks

13. could you sent this t my mail. thanks

and what is a hotlist

14. d_sarfraz

d_sarfraz New commenter

15. d_sarfraz

d_sarfraz New commenter

Hi
    Sorry to

16. d_sarfraz