1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Low Ability Year 4

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by kiss_my_face, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I teach a low ability Year 4 Maths Set. A lot of the children are at level 1 and low level 2.

Should I be teaching from the year 2 or 3 objectives or using the year 4 objectives and adapting them?

2. You need to teach level 1 and 2. When you look at your APP grids you will see what i mean. There might be some areas where you can teach L4 objectives but it all depends on what level your pupils have attained in the different strands.
    If you adapt multiplication you come down to lots of, jumping along number lines etc, but this is at a preceding level, for example.I dont htink you want to teach decomposition, even adapted, if they are only at number bonds to 20.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You need to teach where they are. This level will need lots of practice on bonds, counting in steps and probably practical activities as well.
    I can emphasise - I teach a maths group which are year 5 but working 2b / 2a level.