1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching large Classes

Discussion in 'English' started by foudilmax, Mar 25, 2012.

1. useful strategies for teaching large classes.
    What to do
    who can help me
    I teach English for 35 Pupils.
    How can make the learning process take place...
    SOS...

2. manc

manc New commenter

you learn to write english good then you have something to teach. learning process no good in pidgin english

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

35 - ouch! If you do a Google search for 'teaching large classes' lots of relevant and useful advice appears.

What will be most useful depends on your context, access to support and facilities etc.

I don't envy you though...

4. manc

manc New commenter

Most important thing is to get everyone to listen to you and not worry about content of lesson until later. With luck there isn't too big a spread of ability. With class numbers as high as a Victorian school, it's going to need Victorian methods to impose discipline. That's why drill sergeants don't use the cosy chat method.

5. anteater

anteater New commenter

I quite often have a class this big. If there are are 34/35 in a top set, we can keep the bottom set small. I don't teach this class any differently - just means there is an awful lot of marking to do.

6. anteater

anteater New commenter

Certainly. I wouldn't be happy with a class this big with a huge spread of ability (not that I'm that happy with a class this big at all, as there isn't much room to move around the class when Y8 are in there)