1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching languages with chrome books

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by florentinekd, Jun 19, 2018.

1. florentinekd

florentinekd New commenter

Hi there !

Next year, the pupils in my school will get chromebooks to use in class.
    I am looking for ideas/ways to teach languages efficiently with them.
    Any suggestions of apps or websites to use, activities or games to do with the chromebooks ?

Thanks a million !

Florentine :)

2. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

Give them free run of the Internet and sit at the front messing with your smartphone.

Eflmeister, agathamorse and catmother like this.
  3. bonxie

bonxie Established commenter

4. florentinekd

florentinekd New commenter

Thanks Bonxie ! I will check those websites :)

5. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

languagesonline.org.uk is great for grammar and vocab.

6. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter

7. MTPMFL

MTPMFL New commenter

Would definitely recommend trying either Quizlet Live (www.quizlet.com) or Kahoot (www.kahoot.com).

You can make quizzes (e.g. grammar, vocab etc.) and then everyone in the class can play them together. Very effective! Does require you to make your own resources but on Quizlet many made by others are already available.

bonxie and estrella7 like this.
  8. MosaiK

MosaiK New commenter

Check out vocabexpress.com. You would need to get your school to pay for a subscription but it is worth it. The vocabulary is listed in sections depending on year groups/KS and you can enter your own lists, e.g. for vocab test revision etc.
    My last school had VocabExpress and it was useful as a quick 5 minute task for a class that usually came in late from PE. After several weeks it had cured the problem for most of the students as they'd change more quickly in order not to miss out on their chromebook time in French...
    You can easily log in to see who is in the lead with completing their vocab, when students last logged in, what they have been up to etc...
    It is also possible to run class/year/school competitions.
    Quick overviews of students, scores, logins etc... can be downloaded and printed off.
    Our dept found this invaluable, very easy to get into and extremely useful indeed.
    I hope you find this useful too.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Random175

Random175 New commenter

If you have access to google classroom on your chrome book you might find it useful to set work on there. It is also useful for homework.

estrella7 likes this.
  10. estrella7

estrella7 New commenter

I agree with all of the above! We have had chromebooks in class for 2 years now and they are great (if the students remember to bring them, or bring them charged...!) In our dept we use Kahoot a lot, and the students love making their own Kahoots for the rest of the class to do. There are plenty on there in French, Spanish etc but check them before you use them as we've all been caught out with questions that may be about a particular school / teacher / student that the teacher has put in to get their class engaged! Also, a lot of the Spanish ones maybe in Latin American Spanish so the vocab, lack of 'vosotros' has caught me out if I've not checked it first!
    Quizlet and Quizizz are great too.
    Google Classroom is a brilliant tool, and we use google docs / slides to share interactive documents that students can work on in groups or individually. For example, I upload essays in Spanish for my Y10 & Y11s and have the verbs in the infinitive - they work in groups on one to change them to the appropriate tense. After going through it together, the students then have a selection of model essays for revision purposes.
    I couldn't do without them in my Y12 & Y13 classes....