1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching 'La Haine' for A2 French- advice from experienced colleagues?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by alicerose2015, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Hi all, I've just finished my NQT year and next year I've been designated to teach La Haine. Has anybody got any advice on where to begin with both short- and long- term planning? I have an information pack but the teacher who taught it previously has left, so I'm a bit short on advice. Just things like what should be covered lesson by lesson, and how to make a lesson varied and engaging as opposed to just watching clips and brainstorming themes. Thanks in advance!

2. steveglover

steveglover New commenter

It's good for the students to see the film through in one go initially to gauge their initial reaction as once this has gone it's gone so you'll need the version with English subtitles as the language is quite hard to pick out generally.

It would also be helpful to have the French collectors' edition which includes The making of etc as well as French subtitles, link at bottom of this page. www.dolanguages.com/.../view.php

If you're not very au fait with cinema which most of us aren't then the Ginette Vincendeau Ciné-Files guide is very good. (also linked to from above link)

Linguascope has a copymaster booklet on the film and you can get that through ALF www.alevelfrench along with a package which includes a dictated version of the script which is very helpful, questions, director's journey powerpoint, sample essay plans and essays and interactive exercises on character and qutotations. (My site)

This online analyse of La haine introduces the film including the way Kassovitz brings in each character with a form of script appropriate to their character

www.youtube.com/watch

You will find most of what you need in there-how you pace it is up to you. Have a look at some past questions on the film eg from WJEC who have had it on their set text list for several years to see what types of question are asked.

3. Thank you, this is very helpful, I shall have a look through your links.

4. mlapworth

mlapworth Occasional commenter