1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching L5 writing help request

Discussion in 'English' started by Lauren1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

Would any one be able to provide me with an adult friendly, let alone child friendly explanation of this sub level on Ros Wilson so that I can ensure my HA chn are working towards this? I've got myself tongue tied on it!
    "can interweave implicit and explicit links between sections"
    Any help on this would be fantastic!
    Thank you in advance.

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Looks like gobbledygook to me. Links between sections are structural devices so that there is a coherent narrative or argument rather than unconnected paragraphs on the same subject.teacup secondary and we don't teach explicit and implicit links but perhaps markers such as 'secondly' and 'following on from this' are explicit in the sense that they direct the reader in an overt way. Implicit links might be suggesting it's getting darker rather than saying 'it was now evening'.

3. Lauren1

Lauren1 New commenter

I see what you mean. Yes, agree - gobbledygook! Thank you for your help.

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

When I marked KS3 NCTs, this was level 4 writing in terms of cohesion and reference chains.
    To clarify, 'sections' mans that writing is organised logically, but not paragraphed. Amazingly, paragraphing accurately is a Level 6 skill!
    That's a different skill. The OP is asking (though it's unclear gobbledygook in the Ros Wilson definition, I agree) about linking paragraphs or sections.
    Google 'Level 5 writing exemplars' - they are online.