1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching jobs in U.S -IB School

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by seendee, Nov 6, 2019.

1. seendee

seendee New commenter

hi, wondering how hard is it to get a teaching job in schools in U S.
    Is it normally stuck on working visa for expat?

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

It’s usually very hard, except for states with teacher shortages and international recruitment programs.
    Expect low wages and tough assignments.

3. RainbowWings

RainbowWings New commenter

A lot of schools in the US that offer the IB programme are public (state) schools as the system has been adopted by a number of school districts in certain areas. They would be unlikely to sponsor visas unless, as said above, for shortage subjects e.g. teachers for Mandarin immersion programme. However, there are also private international schools that teach the IB programme and may be willing to sponsor (on J1 visa I think, which is the student/exchange one). I worked in one which I enjoyed very much. Wages were high compared to the UK but the cost of living in the area was extremely high - especially accommodation costs.

4. sidekick125

sidekick125 New commenter

I know that a very large school group from the North of England, have schools in NYC, Chicago and Florida and I believe they offer IB and will help with visa applications etc.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

The problem here is that they're all in areas where rent would eat at least 50% of your salary (and maybe more)

6. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

Send me a conversation and i'll tell you about my experience working in the US.