1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching jobs in Dubai

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by tindalls1, Jul 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tindalls1

tindalls1 New commenter

Hi

I am very interested in teaching in Dubai but it is too late to leave my current job to start this August.

Just wondering if any jobs tend to become available for a January start?

2. dominiquesmalber

dominiquesmalber New commenter

There are often jobs posted in Dubai in January, however, there has been quite an exodus of people leaving Dubai, and schools are currently struggling with enrolments. The hope is that by January the numbers will pick up and more positions will come up.

3. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

There are a lot of schools laying off staff and enrollments are indeed down. However, there will always be opportunities. I know of a number of teachers that have had to leave due to their spouse being made redundant from Emirates etc. and so positions may arise.

4. myothername

myothername New commenter

I have friends who have lost jobs at two schools in Dubai and Abu Dhabi recently, due to covid. But before that they were already talking about how benefits in the UAE schools were less than in the past and getting lower. Student numbers were already dwindling because many companies weren't offering the packages of the past, and my friends report that ages of expats was going down as companies were attracting younger people without families willing to take lower salaries with fewer perks. And now with the pandemic, many expat families are going to be reluctant to return for the next year.

This is not a good time to be thinking of going to Dubai for a new job.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I can imagine some cynics saying to themselves, "Wow! A post on the TES "Teaching Abroad" forum, all about the joys and the challenges of teaching in Dubai! Well, we have never had one of those before. How unusual!"

If the OP were to use the "search" facility, then he or she would find that in fact there have been one or two posts about Dubai on this forum, as well as some more recent ones that say that the benefits are no longer what they were. (Whether they really were what they were is another question, of course.)

6. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

A bit rude. Romania-a-la-linguine has some good stuff on it.

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

A bit unpleasant and unnecessary. Hippo is one of the most helpful people around these boards. Although he is known for his self deprecation and acknowledgement of his promotion of Bulgaria etc, your comment is over the top.
    I see that his comment might be seen as some as a bit sarcastic, but that is all it is, nothing more.

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

To the OP, there are always jobs advertised through the year, although most are for September start.
    With the COVID situation, the balls are in the air, so to speak. It is anybodies guess how this might affect job vacancies.
    I know of 2 high profile schools in Dubai which have very recently told their staff they will close doors permanently in July 2021.
    Anything could happen.

9. the hippo

I hardly ever mention my blog, bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com I do not know why you have accused me of going on about it all the time, 4019775, although my blog has now notched up more than 60,000 "hits". Next you have falsely accused me of mentioning Bulgaria every five minutes. Again, this is completely unfair.

bulg.jpg

And yes, I have sent one of those TES Conversation things to the OP and I will help, if I possibly can.

10. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

How many times must we endure your snide remarks and your continuous flirting with a certain teacher working in Africa?

11. Ds2d12

Ds2d12 Occasional commenter

Why did I always assume “the hippo” was a female haha

12. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Hippo-baiting aside, I've had the odd sneaky peak and am genuinely impressed with the property on offer from the recent house-hunting posts.

Play your cards wrong and we could end up neighbours.

13. the hippo

On a separate but related track, I recently heard from a teacher at a school in Mexico. He told me that quite few of the staff who were planning to leave have had some nasty surprises. Schools have contacted them and said, "We are dreadfully sorry, but the job you applied for does not exist any more." I have had similar stories from other sources. We live in uncertain times.