1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘Teaching is still the best job in the world, but it’s tough’, says union leader

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 22, 2019.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Amanda Martin is the new president of the NEU teaching union and believes that teaching is a great job but she wants to make it less tough and less lonely:

‘“School is such a lonely place for so many teachers. You spend so many hours with the kids in your class, you then spend so many hours planning and marking and going through all the hoops that are needed to satisfy Ofsted and it becomes very isolating," she says.

“And when you’re doing a 67-hour week and when 25 hours of that time is not doing anything with kids but proving what you’ve done to somebody from the outside, that is wrong.”’

https://www.tes.com/news/profileschool-lonely-place-so-many-teachers

What do you think about Amanda Martin’s comments? Do you agree with her? Do you think it is possible to make the job easier and remove the isolation that some teachers feel? What do you think about Amanda’s views regarding academisation, the accountability system, and school funding?

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Extraordinary! Teaching (in a British state school) must today, rate as on of the most unlovely jobs on offer.

agathamorse and blazer like this.
  3. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Occasional commenter

I couldn't disagree more. There have been a few downs, but I have enjoyed by far the majority of my time in teaching. In Britain. In state schools.

A couple of weeks ago I had one of the most amazing days in school, teaching all through, that I've ever had. I won't go into why here, but it's a memory I hope never to lose.

But I think I have been fortunate. I accept that there are some appalling places out there and I'm grateful that I have not had to teach in one. Much respect to those who do.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Established commenter

Glad to hear your good news!

agathamorse likes this.