1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching is 'easy'.

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by princessxemma, Nov 28, 2011.

1. I'm writing this because I'm feeling a lot of frustration right now from people who completely underestimate the jobs of teachers and the education system.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my job, I love my class. I enjoy every second I spend in the classroom and I'm not for a second saying I don't.

However, what I'm utterly sick and tired of is people who know nothing about what it's like to be a teacher. The typical assumptions of we start at 9, roll in at 5 to 9 and finish at 3 on the dot when the children do. Oh and don't forget we just do a random bit of lessons and then we have ALL those holidays too...

Is anyone else sick of hearing this?

2. loranp

loranp New commenter

Totally sick of it. I don't know what people think we do, but the fact is, we often spend more time with their children than they do. I think even my own parents were ignorant of how tough our job can be until they watched Educating Essex. My dad kept saying "this is the sort of thing you have to put up with every day?" My friends don't understand why I'm always tired, either. They have jobs that they can leave in the office/shop etc and they don't understand how much I have to do in the evenings! I hate all the jokes from my extended family about how much paid holiday I have too. They all say they're proud of me being a teacher, I'm only the 3rd person to go to uni on one side of the family and the very first on the other, but they all like to get their oh-so-hilarious jokes in about how I don't know I'm born. I wouldn't mind, but I work longer hours than all of them if you factor in all the marking, planning, meetings, parents' evenings and the fact that I teach a Saturday class at a language college!
    Phew, it feels nice to get all that out of my system!

3. I read a suggestion on another thread on here once from someone who was fed up of those sort of comments; they said that in reply they would say "Yeah it's great; why don't you retrain and be a teacher?" and that would usually result in the other person saying how they could never do it, teaching 30 kids every day etc. I've yet to try it out but sounds like it would work well to shut people up!

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

It never stops. People will say it all the time, it doesn't seem to make any difference how much you try and put them right.
    You just have to get used to it, smile and know how hard it is really.

5. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I think that until you actually experience being a teacher either first hand or because someone close to you works a teacher, you can never really understand the true pressure and workload of a teacher.
    I am part time and work 4 days a week, I manage to get my marking and planning done on my day off and during my PPA time which is lucky for me. But if I was full time I would have to use a day of my weekend and evenings to manage my work. I really don't know how I would cope if I went full time!!
    For me the biggest challenge of being a teacher is classroom management. You have a large class of students with complex needs ranging from poor behaviour to SEN to EAL to complete lack of desire to work to social and emotional difficulties. All topped off with the fact that in secondary you are managing hormonal and moody teenagers who through no real fault of their own could give Kevin and Perry a run for their money!! And we've all been there as teenagers when your hormones make you unbearably moody and difficult to communicate with!
    This for me is the most challenging aspect of being a teacher.

6. just agree with them, and thank them for paying their taxes!

so far it's shut up everyone who's tried that joke with me.

we know how hard you work, ignore the micky takers - keep 'em jealous