1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching interview

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by anon261, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Hi everyone.
    Unfortunately I didn't get the job. But I did get through to the afternoon session after shorlisting and got lots of fantastic feedback. The head teacher said I have masses of potential and has offered for me to go and work in the school voluntarily to gain some very needed experience.
    I had a lovely and very valuable experience though and I wish the candidates that got the posts the best of luck in the world. It would be a lovely school to work in.
    Disappointedly pleased!

2. Hi everyone.
    Unfortunately I didn't get the job. But I did get through to the afternoon session after shorlisting and got lots of fantastic feedback. The head teacher said I have masses of potential and has offered for me to go and work in the school voluntarily to gain some very needed experience.
    I had a lovely and very valuable experience though and I wish the candidates that got the posts the best of luck in the world. It would be a lovely school to work in.
    Disappointedly pleased!

3. DM

DM New commenter

Bad luck gilb.

4. DM

DM New commenter

Bad luck gilbert.

5. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Gilbert, very well done on getting through the first session.
    Valuable experience. Glad the feedback was useful - you can obviously use that to your advantage as you apply for more.
    There will be other schools you will be glad to work in I'm sure.

6. Was the other candidate qualified?

7. There were 5 other candidates - al of whom had secondary PGCE.
    They did interviews in the am and an interview with students - which I was told that no-one expected me to get through (neither did I!) and then we went on to teach in the pm - which I absolutely adored. As soon as I got teaching all my nerves disappeared and I moulded into that 'teacher' person!

8. Just had news that I might be able to attend a return to teaching course in secondary to update me on current curriculum content, behaviour mgmt etc. and will give me some recent experience too! Fingers crossed! [​IMG]

9. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Alternatively, why not get someone to give your CV a look-over. You'd be amazed at how many great programmers I interviewed who 'didn't look good on paper' in my previous incarnation as a Systems Analyst.

10. Thanks Liam - I may also look into this. It's something I hadn't considered.

11. I think Beta may have misunderstood the content of a return to teaching course. I did one 18 mths ago. Rather than going for a general secondary one though I would go for a specific maths one. It is only a 10 day course, though spread over several weeks. It doesnt cover any maths but looks at the levels and that sort of thing. The biggest advantage is that as part of the course you are required to do 10 or more days teaching practice and the organisers run a Crb check which the schools will accept for this purpose. The course was not great but i think would be useful for someone going from primary to secondary

12. I'm also trying to get onto a subject knowledge development course.
    I think between this and the RTT course, I should be classed as up to date, and with sufficient knowledge and understanding of teaching maths.
    Feel like all that money I've spent on redoing my A level is a complete waste now and wish i'd known about these courses beforehand.

13. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Having that extra background will help. You have been through the exams recently. You have rekindled your enthusiasm for studying Maths - never a bad thing.

14. Im aware of their content, just dont think 'bang for buck' they are worth it and TBH I dont think most teacher training is applicable these days.
    I believe that a massive % of what is taught in theory on teacher training courses or doing a day or two here and there is nothing like doing 20+ hours a week for 30-40 years and has contributed to a weak education system with wishy washy fluffy teaching thats neither productive or promotes a teachers control.