1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching interview- training needed???

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by annalise79, May 24, 2012.

1. I have recently been to three interviews for primary teacher posts and the same question has been asked at all three. Could anyone give me some advice on what to say when asked:

" What training/ professional development do you need to do this job properly?"

At the first I said something about updating my positive handling/ behaviour techniques as I knew the school does have to use these strategies. But as it was coming out of my mouth it sounded a little silly.

The second and third my mind went blank as I wasn't really sure what to say, but I fear I looked a bit arrogant by saying nothing. How honest is the panel expecting you to be?

I have another interview on Tuesday and am dreading this question coming up.

Thanks

2. I have recently been to three interviews for primary teacher posts and the same question has been asked at all three. Could anyone give me some advice on what to say when asked:

" What training/ professional development do you need to do this job properly?"

At the first I said something about updating my positive handling/ behaviour techniques as I knew the school does have to use these strategies. But as it was coming out of my mouth it sounded a little silly.

The second and third my mind went blank as I wasn't really sure what to say, but I fear I looked a bit arrogant by saying nothing. How honest is the panel expecting you to be?

I have another interview on Tuesday and am dreading this question coming up.

Thanks

3. Would it be helpful to think of the question as "what areas of teaching are you interested in" rather than "what training do you need"? That allows you to talk about you and how you love to learn new stuff. Maybe worth thinking of something like "I have really enjoyed implimenting ICT/literacy/brain gym/data targets/whatever into my lessons - give an example - and would really to explore other ways to blah blah etc
    Nothing wrong with being honest just make sure you're honest about all things you are really good at too!
    Hope that's helpful