1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching Interview Lesson

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lauragreest, Jun 7, 2017.

1. lauragreest

lauragreest New commenter

I am looking for a school to do my NQT year and I have an interview next week!
    I've been asked to teach a lesson: 'Literacy Lesson – you will be required to teach a 20 minute literacy lesson to 15 Year 4 children. The lesson will be based on a text of your choice'.

A poetry lesson with the focus of oral rehearsal.

I was thinking of reading (as a whole class, a large print at the front and then one between 2) the beginning of a poem. A quick paired/class discussion on what/who is this poem about, what's happening, etc- children to write down idea's (words/phrases) on an individual whiteboard. The children then, independently, write the next part of the poem. The main focus of the lesson being oral rehearsal whilst they're writing.

The poem I was thinking of using is from a book called 'Spooky Poems'- Jennifer Curry:
    They arose from the earth,
    Tall and thin,
    They had no eyes,
    Yet I could feel their cold stare upon me.
    They had no mouths
    Yet I could hear their voices ringing in my ears.
    In armies of twenty, thirty, forty,
    They troop into towns and cities,
    People are screaming.

This is all of the poem I'd give them (it's titled 'Killer Carrots'.

Can anyone give me any pointers or advice?- does this sound like a good interview lesson?

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Good luck fitting all of that in a 20 minute lesson! Have they specifically said they want to see the kids writing? If not, I would avoid it. They will be looking at your rapport with the kids but you might get caught up in the quantity of things you want to cover.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What is the learning objective? What are you actually planning to teach them?
    I can easily see what they will be doing, but not what they will learn.

Look at the NC programme of learning for year 4 English (maybe even consider year 5 at this point of the year) and decide what you'd like to teach the class. Then choose your text. Then choose your activity.

I also think your choice of poem might be too scary for some year 4s. I can think of a few who would imagine the most horrible things from that start and scare themselves silly.

4. LaurenEJ23

LaurenEJ23 New commenter

That sounds like an awful lot to fit into 20 minutes. I agree with the above poster, achieving a decent standard of writing in that period of time will be difficult. I imagine interviewers will be focusing on your interaction with the pupils and your ability to demonstrate progress in some way.

You need to come up with a very specific LO and work from there. Perhaps you could do a shared write of the next part of the poem? The children have lots of opportunity to orally generate (or make brief notes) ideas etc, but then you scribe and help them to construct a whole class piece.

Good luck

5. Landofla

Definitely do not teach them a Year 5 objective. I'm surprised to see that suggested. Only for SEN or G&T would you do that. Go on here and pick an objective suitable for the poetry idea you have. Perhaps, En4/1j? Use lots of modelling to show the kids how to read confidently and with expression. Do good and bad examples and have them laugh at you and with you.

I would also start with a short ice breaker type activity to get to know each other. Learn their names (if you can) and share something about yourself. If you do get an interview, being able to remember a particular child's name when answering questions would be very impressive!

I don't think the poem is too scary. I also don't think you need to follow the planning sequences suggested by @caterpillartobutterfly this is a one off lesson afterall. Go for the idea suggested by @LaurenEJ23 whereby the kids write their own, perhaps on mini whiteboards and in pairs, after lots of oral practice. Then share a few & voila! All the best!

6. caterpillartobutterfly

All successful lessons start from the idea of 'what do I want the children to learn?' and then move on to activities and teaching sequences.
    You are, presumably, hoping to be successful at this interview?
    In that case you will need to teach them something.

Look at other threads where people have asked for similar advice and read what was said to them.

Certainly if you were coming to teach 15 of my (Yr3) class next week, I'd not recommend you use any of the year 3 objectives. We have covered almost all of them already, so it would be hard to move them on. However, you could try to look at some in a different way, or from an unusual angle, or you could use a year 4 objective. All would be fine, so long as the children 'learnt something'.

Best of luck whatever you do.

7. Landofla

@caterpillartobutterfly that is your opinion. My opinion is different.

OP, you will be teaching them something so don't worry. The observers are not expecting to see the kids making heaps of progress. They will be looking for them enjoying themselves, feeling relaxed and comfortable, and that you are able to manage behaviour. If they had wanted to see progress, there would have been stricter instructions about the content to be covered and you would have a had both a full session and full class.

Seriously think carefully before teaching the objectives from other year groups. The above poster who suggested it, teaches in the independent sector, not state primary. The Gov has pushed for children to be assessed against age-related expectations in mainstream primary and as such, should be taught the corresponding objectives. To use Maths as an example, Mastery should be worked towards, not the next year's objectives. Yes, the teacher may have covered them already, but it doesn't mean that those children have achieved them.

Don't worry. You will be fine! The ideas mentioned on here will do you well :)

8. caterpillartobutterfly

9. Landofla

@caterpillartobutterfly Doesn't mean it is the right advice though. This is the first time I've read someone on here telling someone to teach another year group's objectives!

10. caterpillartobutterfly

There have been a few lately and always are at this time of the year.

No one has told the OP to do anything, merely given possible suggestions.
    I'm sure they can work out for themselves what they want to do.