1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching interview Friday phonics for phase2and 3

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nicebutdim23, May 30, 2012.

1. nicebutdim23

nicebutdim23 New commenter

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I am teaching a phonics session for 12 children friday, 6 who are phase2, 6 who are phase 3. All my experience lies in nursery and phonic teaching is something i have very little experience of. Everything i have observed of phonics teaching involves flashcards with children recognising what they see or introducing it then writing on whiteboards using the new sound. What sort of thing should i being doing for an interview lesson?

2. It will be difficult to teach them something very new, especially not having worked with these children over time like their teacher has. Try and keep it to games.
    I'd start with a 'revision' game, perhaps a version of pass the parcel with an object to pass round. When the music stops invite the child holding the object to come and show you a phoneme that you say the sound for from a set you display, then you can differentiate between the phase 2 and phase 3 children. 5 minutes tops.
    Another game you could try is matching objects/pictures with word cards. Give the phase 2 children the objects. Check everyone knows what their object is then ask them to sound-talk them, that is segment the word orally. If the phase 3 children have the word cards, when they hear their word being segmented they can match it with the object until all are matched. 5-10 minutes.
    You could try 'full circle', which is described in Letters and Sounds. If every child has a letter card, sitting in a circle so everyone can see everyone's letter card they can support each other as necessary. Give phase 2 children single letter sounds and phase 3 children digraphs. Have your list of words worked out carefully so that by changing one letter each time you make a new word until you eventually make the word you first started with.
    Eg. sheep sheet meet feet feel foal coal coat boat beep sheep.
    Then the children should (hopefully) notice and say 'full circle'. When you say a word, the children holding those cards come out and stand in the right order to make that word. As a letter changes with each word, one child will sit down to be replaced by the child who has the new sound needed. Each time you make a new word the children should say the sounds with you and then blend the word.
    If you write the words up as you go you can try reading them at the end.

3. nicebutdim23

nicebutdim23 New commenter

thank you. It is really hard to know what to do not knowing anything about the children - i wish they could've at least told me what weeks they had covered from l and s. Thanks for your suggestions.