1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching industry relevant skills at KS4 and KS5

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JohnAdamsonOCR, Jan 15, 2016.

1. JohnAdamsonOCR

JohnAdamsonOCR New commenter

Sorry for the shameless plug in advance but hopefully this will be relevant to some of you...

OCR and IBM are hosting a free event at The Manchester College's Openshaw campus on Thursday 28th January from 0930-1230.

Developments in Cloud technology allow you and your students to experience this new world from your classroom. With just an Internet connection, a modern browser and access to IBM’s Bluemix, you can take your students on a journey where they can develop applications and work with data without them needing to become a programmer.

You can use the same technology being used by industry today and teach your students industry relevant skills that are transferable across many subjects.

In this workshop you will learn how to create a live application on the Internet that connects to remote sensors anywhere in the world, to see the data flow and determine the data that you want to keep. You will then create real-time decision points so that immediate actions can be taken; you will store your data in a database and do some analytics on your data. Finally, you will create a website live on the Internet showing your analysis and your results.

2. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

What is an industry relevant skill when you are 15 or 16? Thinking back, just getting my lot to shut up and listen to instructions, or to check their work for the many errors they always contained would be challenge enough. So, define 'industry relevant skills', please.

3. JohnAdamsonOCR

JohnAdamsonOCR New commenter

That would be a question better answered by those working in industry (such as IBM, which is why we asked them to lead the event). In their absence on this forum I will try to answer as best I can for you.

I believe they will be looking at topics such cloud computing and big data amongst others. It is a workshop-based event so you will get to use the technology involved during the session with the aim being that you will be able to take away ideas to use in the classroom.

I hope, if you are able and willing, you can come and join us on the day.

There is no fee to attend. You can book online here.