1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching incidental sounds in phonics.... help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by phoenix42, Feb 22, 2016.

1. phoenix42

phoenix42 New commenter

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm new to teaching phonics. I've completed stage 2 in Floppy's Phonics and everything has been going well.

However, there's a couple of books like the Snowman and some for stage 3 which have words like 'nose' and 'bone'. Am I meant to teach these split digraphs incidentally? A reception child seems a little young to grasp it. Or do I teach them as sight words with a quick look at how the phonics works?

Any help, very gratefully received!

Paul

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes teach them that <o-e> is another spelling for the sound /oe/ as you meet the words. Get them to say the sounds they know and supply the new spelling so they can read the words with your support. You shouldn't need to teach words by sight if you're teaching phonics

3. phoenix42

phoenix42 New commenter

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I'm probably wrong, but I thought the unit of sound was /oa/ rather than /oe/ ?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

<oa> and <oe> are both representations (spellings) for the sound /əʊ/ /oe/ and /oa/ are essentially the same thing