1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in WA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kellymitchell12, Feb 26, 2018.

1. kellymitchell12

kellymitchell12 New commenter

Hi,

My husband and I are thinking of emigrating to WA with our little boy.

I’m an English teacher (PGCE) and have three years experience.

I’m just looking for any teachers who have already emigrated to WA. We want to hear stories - good and bad - before we make our decision.

Thanks!

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Western Australia or Washington?

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  3. kellymitchell12

Western Australia - sorry!

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

never taught there, but have taught a pile of students from this region (obviously they were expats)....boy where they very low ability students. even the basics were a struggle. reminded me of teaching British kids again in the UK.

5. jperriam

jperriam New commenter

I'm a teacher in Perth. Plenty of low ability students, but lots of clever ones as well. It depends where you teach and what classes they give you. The schools also vary quite considerably - there are some high schools here that I would never want to teach in. I don't believe there is much demand for English Teachers at the moment so you might find yourself at one of the more difficult schools.

6. jamieheap

jamieheap New commenter

Are you at liberty to give us some examples of high schools you wouldn't teach in and why? It is something I had also looked at, and in Western Australia, so would be nice for some local knowledge. Are English teachers not always in demand like here in the UK then?

kellymitchell12 likes this.
  7. kellymitchell12

Thanks - that’s really useful. I didn’t find many jobs for English teachers online but was hoping that maybe I just wasn’t looking in the right places!

I’m wondering if I might have more luck on the east coast?

8. jperriam

jperriam New commenter

There are lots of English teacher positions, but also heaps of English teachers! Many did Arts degrees then got into teaching when they looked at their job prospects. Check out jobsWA website for government jobs, Seek for private schools and the catholic education WA website for their school's vacancies. There's also jobs on the anglican schools commission and AISWA websites.

They say there is a shortage of teachers in WA, but it's really a shortage in regional and remote areas of the state (WA covers a HUGE area). The south-west region is lovely but I've heard there is lots of competition for positions in places like Albany and Margaret River. If you want to be in a capital city, then I think the east coast cities have better job prospects - certainly seems to be the case for my teaching area (science and maths).

In Perth the best government schools are around the river (Rossmoyne, Applecross etc.), and the west (Shenton College, Churchlands) and north-west (Carine, Duncraig) of the CBD. Most private schools are good, the students are easier to manage but there is still a wide variety of abilities. I taught at a boys' school for a while and they had amazing resources and facilities. Quite a few teachers from the UK there too.

If you want the worst schools, search for the School Education Act Employees’ (Teachers and Administrators) General Agreement 2014. Pages 62 to 64 have a list of schools where you get paid extra for teaching in a hard to staff school. I've taught in two schools on the list and I wouldn't go back because the behaviour, violence and ability levels make it too exhausting and depressing. Just really difficult to get through the curriculum with all the disruptive behaviour. My two schools also had poor leadership which compounded the problem.

9. kellymitchell12

Thank you so much for all of that information - lots for me to look through!

My husband is a Welder so it looks like we might be mainly reliant on his job at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up on schools I might not want to teach in as well

10. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Is it still ridiculously expensive to live there (Perth mainly) I turned down a job there some years ago as the cost of living - due to all the extraction industries - was very high and we couldn't live on one salary and even two would have been tight!

11. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

One hears on the grapevine that Australia's thriving economy, the Wonder Down Under, has shoved up house prices to absurd (almost British) levels. Of course it has not helped that the parents of some of my students here in China have found out that there is a place called Australia and they have been busy pricing everyone else out of the market.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's worth remembering that Australia is a first world country with many things people look for in a permanent move. The cities there frequently top the polls in terms of quality of life. You're not going to make middle East money in Australia because the country is desirable on its own without crazy packages. Who would work in Kuwait without being heavily financially rewarded?

Were teachers, not lawyers or investment bankers. You're not going to be living a lavish lifestyle in a first world country on one teacher wage. If you want to, you picked the wrong profession.

That said, property prices in Oz are out of this world. You're looking at London prices in quite a few cities.

13. jperriam

jperriam New commenter

Perth is very expensive. Renting, eating out, transport, clothes... I don’t know about welding wages but with two incomes you can live comfortably enough. You will need to have a car to get around, most families have two cars because the city is quite spread out.

14. jade_dragonA

jade_dragonA New commenter

Tutoring could be an alternative to school teaching (eg with Dyslexia Speld).