1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aqsajchaudry, Jun 28, 2020.

1. aqsajchaudry

aqsajchaudry New commenter

Hi all,

Been offered a secondary teaching position at a top British international school in Vietnam. I have a husband and an infant who would be moving with me.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had an experience working in Vietnam? What was the experience like? What’s the expat life like? Pros and cons?

thank you

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I was a single parent of two children for 2 years in Saigon. Nearly 10 years ago now though. Saigon was amazing. My kids loved it. It was totally without rules. Motorbikes went anywhere, pavements, parks, over the top of roundabouts. Shoppers paradise, amazing food but stay away from street food. It will literally kill you. BBQ sea slugs are not good. We did not really live an ex-pat life. We chose to live in an area which had very few ex-pats and pretty much lived like locals. Vietnamese is a very difficult language to learn for a westerner but we gave it a go and our efforts were appreciated. The Vietnamese people were very friendly and approachable. Very cheap to live and savings are possible even on what seems a lowish salary. I also knew people who saved nothing cos they got a new tailor made outfit every week-end and traveled to exotic locations every chance they had. You pays your money ...

3. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Lots of threads here at the moment on Vietnam.

Hanoi & HCMC are pretty different in outlook.
    Crossing the road seems terrifying at first but you'll get used to it. Motorbikes (your own or taxi) are the best way to get around.

It's beautiful country to travel in with a truly remarkable 20th century history.
    Street food is perfectly palatable! - the above poster must have been unlucky.

Lots of pros, no cons for me.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Amoebic dysentery is more than unlucky.