1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sarahdawson91, May 24, 2020.

1. sarahdawson91

sarahdawson91 New commenter

Hello

I have been doing a lot of research on teaching in Vietnam at an International School and wanted a bit more information about living costs and benefits etc.

I noticed that many schools give a housing allowance, how much are you given for this? And roughly what is the salary for a qualified teacher with 4 years experience?

Thank you for your help ☺️.

2. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Depends on the school - it can vary wildly. It's generally a cheap country though, and friends that have worked there spoke highly of it.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

As yasf rightly says, it will depend on the school and their package and your desirability. Every school and every country is different. Their is NOT a system!!! Again as yasf says, in general it is cheap and people do speak highly of it. It is a beautiful country. I had three very pleasant years there, one thing to remember is that Hanoi and HCMC are very different.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. sarahdawson91

sarahdawson91 New commenter

Thank you for your replies. I know each school and year will vary but I was hoping for some general information, based on people’s experiences, just to get a rough idea.

billinziemalcolm likes this.
  5. miss303

miss303 New commenter

I am currently working in Vietnam and couldn't even give you a rough idea of what my colleagues make as each salary is negotiated seperately. As part of my package, I have a housing allowance which is more than enough for a very high standard 'western-style' apartment. My salary allows me to save a couple of thousand pounds (UK) each month - however I live quite cheaply and haven't travelled much. I know that some of my younger colleagues made the most of the great travel options in the region (before the virus) and haven't really saved much.

I would say the quality of the international schools vary massively. Many are very much bilingual schools. Not a bad thing, but worth noting.

Last thing - it's very likely anyone arriving in Vietnam, if and when the borders finally open, that they will need to undergo 2 weeks mandatory quarantine. This will be in a government facility and will definitely be a challenge.

Good luck!

agathamorse and billinziemalcolm like this.
  6. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

Any word about the quality of the government facilities?

Ms_Love_ likes this.
  7. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

I am also wondering about the quarantine situation as I accepted a job there in December and have been told about the two weeks. So far I have bought some SIM cards for Vietnam with a lot of data allowance on them as I've heard there's no wifi in the facility.

agathamorse and austin_jen like this.
  8. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

Ms.Love,
    We’ll be headed to Vietnam as well. How were you able to get SIM cards? I’d like to purchase some in advance if possible.

9. Ms_Love_

We were able to get them here in China from Taobao but if you're in the UK I'm sure you can get them on eBay/Amazon. I'm just trying to stock up on things like contact lenses, sanitary products etc as I have heard to prepare for a very basic quarantine. I'm coming with my hubby so I just hope we'll be able to be in the same room at least!

I'm also concerned that China seems likely to extend the travel ban for incoming flights till September. That's the news on the ground here but I'm hoping VN doesn't do the same . . .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...etnam.TRS0&_nkw=sim+card+for+vietnam&_sacat=0

10. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

I’ve spoken with a few families in Hanoi that have told me we have the option of paying to stay in specific hotels for the 14 day mandatory quarantine. I’m waiting for my school to confirm these details. I have 3 young children so this arrangement would be ideal.

From what I read Vietnam is allowing investors, experts, and skilled workers in. This was as of last week. Working for a private school we fall under the skilled worker category.

Vietnam is still not allowing tourists.

Ms_Love_ likes this.
  11. Ms_Love_

That sounds encouraging at least.

Are you going to HCMC?

12. Ms_Love_

Do you have a source for this information? Please share if you do.

13. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

What parts do you want a source for?

The quarantine facilities vary massively but all are basic. Most have wifi althought not all.

You can google this and find out what they are like.

There was lots of talk about alternative quarantines being available but it seems to only been applicable in certain places. This of course may change in July / August when there is a large influx of teachers.

As they said just a rumour

Entry for foreign experts currently only applies to those the government is deeming essential workers - such as those in the oil industry. It is not being applied for teachers as we have colleagues stuck outside the

Again you can google this, it's been in the news here.

You can buy sim cards at the airport as you go through immigration. Your school will send a visa agent to meet you and sort our your visa so you could always ask your school to have the agent pass on a sim if quarantine looks likely.

You can buy SIM cards once you are through immigration, although I'm not sure what will happen when you get off the flight, you might not get near the SIM cards as you may leave a different way. (Any good school would provide these for staff, along with a few other extras to make your stay more a bit ore comfortable).

Speaking to my friends who still work in Vietnam, it looks like new staff will have to be quarantined, but I some schools are trying to sort out their own facilities, which might be slightly better than the government ones.

14. Leaps7

Leaps7 New commenter

I'll be moving to Vietnam this summer as well, very excited. In talking with my new school, the one thing they did mention was that It may be more complex for spousal visa's. Crossing my fingers we hear some positive news in the next couple of weeks.

austin_jen likes this.
  15. austin_jen

austin_jen New commenter

Hi Leaps,
    I’m not sure how the direct messenger works but I’d like to know what school you’ll we working for. If you don’t mind sharing. I’m in a similar boat. Headed to Vietnam with family. My school hasn’t made mention of the complexities surrounding spousal visas.

16. Leaps7

Leaps7 New commenter

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't know how to send messages. I did a search and this is what I found "Click on the person's name. Click on start a conversation. Type and send." But, that doesn't work.

Yea, a bit nervous about what will happen in the coming month or so. The School is in HCMC District 2. It's a smaller school and uses the IPC, hope that helps. Crossing my fingers everything works out.

17. TinyTeacher92

TinyTeacher92 New commenter

I'm also off the Vietnam in August. The latest my school have told us is to expect a 14 day quarantine in a government facility followed by an initial 14 day quarantine at home. They did add that the situation is fluid and is subject to change at short notice but they've kept us in the loop quite well so I don't expect the contract to be pulled unless the government refuse to issue our work visas.

johnnyb__123 likes this.
  18. johnnyb__123

johnnyb__123 New commenter

Following this with interest as like others here hopefully headed for Vietnam (Hanoi) in August. So 28 days in quarantine?? They don’t mess about do they? I’d have to go out in middle of July to do that and that would be a major challenge to say the least...

19. TinyTeacher92

TinyTeacher92 New commenter

I will let you know of any further updates I'm given but this was given as a possible scenario based on current entry requirements. They did also go on to say that the situation may change.

20. billinziemalcolm

billinziemalcolm New commenter

Hi

Im thinking of moving to Vietnam with my 5 year old in January 2021. Could you please give me some insight into the best part to live? Especially having a kid, salary and I have 3 years teaching experience, I would like to eat out and go for nights out if my friends or family were to visit from abroad. Im thinking of the city or somewhere near the beach.

Many Thanks
    B