1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by blueunicorn, Jul 18, 2019.

1. blueunicorn

blueunicorn New commenter

Hi,

I am a qualified Maths teacher and just wondering how easy to find a Maths job teaching in an international school in Vietnam?

And what the pay is like?

Thanks

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

A very general question, why would you think that the 40 -50 so called international schools in Vietnam constitute one market place, each school will have different subject teacher needs and offer its own package to recruit and retain staff.

To answer your question in the same vein; Maths teachers can be in short supply but not always and salaries will be competitive. One thing I will say is that Hanoi is very different to Saigon. Hope this helps:)

3. blueunicorn

blueunicorn New commenter

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I’m asking is I know Maths teachers are in short supply here in the UK but I doubt it will be the same over there.

I am actually a native Vienamese but I have been away from home for a long time. I do not have a good understanding of the education system at international schools over there.

And I’m originally from Hanoi but I think HCM is well more open and developed.

Have you taught there?

Thanks again.

4. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Salary would be around 36k dollars before tax.

5. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

$36,000 seems quite low. What's the tax rate on that?

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'Have you taught there?' Yes.

'the education system at international schools over there'

T
    heir is not an international education system in Vietnam or anywhere else for that matter. There are 40-50 different international schools in Vietnam, some have common elements; i.e. they are more American, or more British, or more whatever! They are privately run and are approved and regulated by the Vietnamese government but that is as far as it goes.

'And I’m originally from Hanoi but I think HCM is well more open and developed.'

Then you will know that the Army and the Party are far stronger in Hanoi than in HCMC where business is freer. There are also more schools and more expats in HCMC.

7. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

For an expat teacher in an international school, salaries range from about $2k taxed to $5k after tax per month. At the top end of the top end of this pay range there will be benefits on top.

There are Viet Kieu working in Saigon in international schools and pulling in salaries above the bottom of the aforementioned range. Apply for every maths job going and take the best one you are offered.