1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Valencia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TL1, Sep 28, 2010.

1. TL1

TL1

I am (or was) thinking of teaching in Spain (particularly Valencia) as of next September, but reading the threads on here has made me seriously rethink! I am visiting Valencia in October and wanted to visit a school there to get a feel for it. I was thinking of going to 'the one in the centre' as it would be easy to get to but have read some pretty negative things on here about that school.
    I have a few questions:
    What makes the working conditions so bad?
    Do people get on well with their British and Spanish colleagues?
    What are the typical working hours like?
    Is rent affordable? Do any teachers share housing?
    What are the positives?
    Thanks in advance

2. I worked at one of the International Schools in Valencia [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines] for three years. Its a great city, very vibrant, lots to do and the people are mostly ok, not the friendliest but the younger generation is better. Working conditions are not too bad, but pay is terrible. Valencia used to be cheap, but has got much more expensive in last 5 years and salaries have stayed the same. This would be the biggest issue, you can share as I did in my first year, but it wasnt ideal, it all depends on the person you end up with. Let me know if you want any other help.

3. Most schools in the area have a bad reputation because their owners are basically unbalanced and/or inexperienced. If you do a thorough search on the threads you should find more specific information. The working conditions are bad, in the sense that you are expected to work very long hours for very little pay. Despite your hardest efforts you may be criticized for petty issues and even bullied by management. In some school the Spanish and English teachers barely speak to each other, mainly because the English staff turnover is so high, the more established Spanish staff barely get a chance to make friends with them, Working hours are from 9.00 to 5.00 and you are expected to stay on-site. Within these working hours, your teaching load will vary, but new teachers with no responsibility have the heaviest teaching load. Some schools however, are better than others, some finish earlier, some pay a tiny little bit better. Those with a better reputation, that I know of! are (a city in england) house , (the olive trees), (the other english speaking nation) school.. The worst ones [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines], however you can probably find out about most of them on the forum, don't just take my word for it as things vary and i only have direct experience of a couple. The city is really nice, so if you are seriously thinking of living in Valencia do some serious research and don't rush into it, working in the right environment can make all the difference.

4. I concur with the points made by everyone else. The pay is very low, but thats not limited to Spain. Many other European destinations are similar, you need to go further afield for decent money. Valencia is a beautiful city, an easy place to live, except the rising prices combined with low wages are increasingly becoming a big detractor. Just to reitterate the other points, avoid [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines] in particular, one in the centre is pretty poor but for better reasons.