1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Nicola_Thomo, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Nicola_Thomo

Nicola_Thomo New commenter

Hi.
    Just want some advice. I really want to teach in the US but unsure how to go about it. I’ve just signed up to participate and entered all my details but wondering how reliable this is? Also is there anyone who is from the UK and currently teaching in the US who can offer support and advice of how they got over there?? Or any ideas how to get the ball rolling? I’ve read many threads but nothing has answered my questions really.

Thanks x

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Signed up where?

3. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi Nicola, There is a guy Dave who is in North Carolina not through participate but a similar company and he is over there now and very helpful for info. Try and find hi in threads on similar topic

dave12hughes likes this.
  4. Nicola_Thomo

5. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

Based on my limited international experience, the transition to a US school will be very problematic but not insurmountable.

How the US curriculum works is very different to how the UK system works and needs a different mentality and approach. From what I've seen/heard its a lot easier for a US teacher to teach in a UK based curriculum than the other way round.

However if you have IB experience that will definitely help

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Again - really! I have to say most of your questions will have been answered before! I have read, and posted on, several of them and they are pretty comprehensive. If you have a question that is not answered then ask it, don't just ask for general help and advice. If that is all you ask for that's all you'll get!

7. Nicola_Thomo

Wow... wasn’t expecting a response like that. I have read and trawled through many posts. If you could point me in the direction of these posts that would be helpful. I did ask specifically about the participate group too.

Many thanks

8. gulfgolf

Agreed with makhnovite. This topic has been discussed ad infinitum. From an outside perspective, your questions have been addressed.
    Please give us specific questions, or limit your expectations.
    As for finding those posts for you and directing you to them, I respectfully decline.
    Perhaps I am slightly grumpy this New Years Day, but your first and following posts have raised questions for me. Moving overseas requires more than a typical dose of initiative and gumption. Moving to the US is potentially the most difficult of all. Have you assessed your personal commitment and resilience? Are you ready to search, persist, overcome obstacles, find your own alternate pathways?

9. Nicola_Thomo

I’d definitely agree with you being grumpy. I have never known a forum of such negativity and rudeness. Maybe I’m naive but I did think these forums were to help and support each other not to be rude and off hand. And for the second time I was specific. If you have nothing constructive or supportive why knock someone who is trying to make a better life?? Such a sad thing to do

24hours, bethije and TexanTeacher2013 like this.
  10. Nicola_Thomo

Thank you for your help and support tjrrr! Finally someone who is kind

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

The thing with the USA is that each state has it's own qualifications and requirements. Many often require you to do additional in state qualifications. Look on the education web site for the states you are interested in and see what they require.
    Do you want an international school or the equivalent of an LA school. I'm sure some areas are easier to get into than others but that is usually because the locals don't want to teach there.
    Getting a visa will be difficult unless you are sponsored.
    Look for jobs advertised and then apply just like any other job.

12. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

13. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

Up until last year, I taught at a state/public elementary school in NC through participate/VIF. Feel free to send me a conversation.

Yes, this is a question which has been asked a lot but this is a forum to help/share. There are a gazillion messages about other areas of the world (China, ME, Thailand) and people aren’t as grumpy when posting on those.

14. gulfgolf

The lack of commentary on Participate is perhaps a partial answer to your questions. If the helpful and knowledgeable posters on this forum have nothing to say, that does suggest something.
    Getting a work visa for the US is quite a challenge. You need to meet federal requirements, and the US is not exactly the most welcoming place for immigrants at the moment.
    School requirements are different-they vary by state for salary, working conditions and curriculum. The states with the toughest conditions are typically the ones most willing to jump through the hoops to sponsor foreign teachers. Be careful of frying pan - fire situations.
    Some might consider it unhelpful to point out that a particular task is hard and requires commitment and initiative. Others might find this to be sage advice.

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I agree with gulgolf, as usual. If you explain that something is difficult, time-consuming and unlikely to succeed, then are you really being unkind and grumpy? Or is it really honesty and kindness? Or are you just being realistic? As gulfers has pointed out, there are all kinds of hoops to jump through if you want a teaching job in the US of A. American colleagues have told me that some states have "closed shop" agreements with the teaching unions.

Yes, Nicola_Thomo, I can understand your frustration when you ask for help and some posters just come up with more and more problems. Yes, it might seem rude or negative when someone points out that your dream of teaching in America might be hard to follow in reality.

On the other hand, why the U.S.A.? There are lots of other countries in the world where you will not have half as many hassles getting a teaching job. (No, I am not going to mention a certain country in SE Europe...) And I think that gulfgolf is probably right when he says that some jobs in the US are open to foreigners because they are so awful that most American teachers would not want them.

16. SineField

SineField Occasional commenter

In my opinion here is your optimal path:

Get a job at an international school that has both US and UK components. At the interview state your desire to gain US (common core/AP) experience at some point - you might get lucky and get some straight off the bat. If not at the end of your first year, ask the school to give you some US timetabling for the next year. If its a decent school, they will at least give you a few classes.

But as I said....it won't be easy... the US way is a very different approach and there is a heavy emphasis on continuing assessment, but you do get significant freedom to pretty much teach how/what you like.

After a couple of years with some US stuff under your belt you will be in a much better position to get a US based job.... in all likelihood in an international/private school.

Ps As others have said, some initiative and the use of forum search would have been the best place to start!

17. TexanTeacher2013

TexanTeacher2013 New commenter

Yes! I agree. This should be a supportive community, it's what you make it though. I must admit, I really enjoy this platform regardless of some of its dwellers.

18. Nicola_Thomo

Thank you! Texan teacher... based in Texas?

19. Nicola_Thomo

Ah thank you! I’ll be in touch

20. banANNA1234

banANNA1234 New commenter

Hiya @Nicola_Thomo -- I'm in a similar situation - I'm wanting to move and teach in the USA (not interested in other countries right now, sorry @the hippo...) Have posted a similar thread about a month ago and had extremely similar responses so I feel ya, don't know why it all has to be so negative! It's not an impossible ask.

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this forum and I can't work out how to private message you, but please message me - I'd love to have a chat about this and share what we have found for eachother! Always good to have a buddy!!