1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in USA

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Natalie_x0, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Natalie_x0

Natalie_x0 New commenter

I am currently in my second year of teaching in the UK and am looking to hopefully make the move across the pond to join my boyfriend in Philadelphia. After years of countless trips back and forth, we would love to begin our lives together and finally be in the same city again, as we were when we met four years ago on our study abroad programme in Sydney! However, being in the same city requires a VISA and as I believe, it can only be obtained through either being sponsored by an employer in the USA or through a marriage proposal. Ideally I would like to take the sponsorship route as accepting a marriage proposal which is highly influenced by entrance to the USA, would be wrong.

I absolutely love teaching and would love to continue my teaching career in America. I am currently a Year 1 teacher with an Education Studies BA Hons Degree (2:1) and a PGCE in EYFS and KS1.

I am looking for anyone who can give me any kind of advice, guidance or support on where to start in this process.
    Or just to talk to someone who has taught in America and can provide me with some insight as to what it may be like for a UK citizen.

Thanks in advance, Natalie

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Probably best to post down in 'Teaching Overseas'. You might also want to do a search on the topic on tes as well -it's a very popular query.

Good luck!

3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It might help you get sponsorship if you take a firearms course at a convenient shooting range and add the certificate to your CV.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

It does seem to me most, if not all countries have insecurities about the validity of their qualifications. I have worked in many countries and without fail been told my British papers were 'not recognised here', meaning 'ours are better'. There is no need to worry too much, just keep calm and let it unfold. I found eventually all was well or normally I would be told I'd be on probation and have to prove myself.

I did teach for a while in the US and of course it is nothing special or different from anywhere. The usual mix of talented teachers/managers, lazy teachers/managers and mixed bag results - but outrageously brilliant facilities. I'd rate their standards as exaggerated and in reality sub standard as in the UK. A British trained teacher will have few problems (none) integrating.

However, one area the USA is different is they protect their own citizens. By law they MUST give teaching jobs to locally qualified and it can be tough getting in. The plan B is to be willing to accept work in 'unwanted' areas and then make a name for yourself to get out. In that case, the Duke of York's post above isn't that wide of the mark.

You will find sponsorship for the 'tough' areas easier to obtain, although USA snobbery may still make it harder than you think. No matter how much we all slam the USA, everybody wants to go there and they can pick and choose whoever they want.

With good reason. It is a wonderful country to live in, with cheap housing, cars, taxes and more places to visit every holiday that you can fit in a lifetime.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yikes! (said the ex-pat American living in the UK)

PS. Wouldn't the certificate show the person was a responsible gun owner which is contrary to the stories in the news of mass shootings?

6. americanateach

americanateach New commenter

American schools have even less money than schools in England. They aren't going to sponsor your visa when they can pay some local new grad $28k. Have you actually looked into the visa process more in depth? There are lots of forums for expats that would be of use. I warn it's a pain, and the US visas are a notoriously long process.

As for actually teaching in America, the content is more or less the same, except of course you would need to teach American history and citizenship. Differentiation tends to be less by task and more by outcome and support given. Homework is a nightly thing. Grading isn't scrutinised and you can do it how you wish. Reports are done every quarter. There's no OFSTED, which is the biggest blessing. That said, there is testing in every year from at least second grade on, and you will be heavily judged on your results, which is quite stressful.

But again, I don't think it would be an easy road for you to get into teaching. If you want to do y1 age (kindergarten in the U.S.), many states require a degree in early childhood, and you're restricted to only the youngest children. Certification isn't too difficult as long as your degree is acceptable. You take some subject knowledge tests and pay a fee.

Anyway, I will stop rambling!