1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in USA or Canada

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Jo_1985, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Jo_1985

Jo_1985 New commenter

Hi
    Sorry if there have been a few posts on this. I’m in my 7th year of teaching and am looking at applying in a British international or international schools in either Canada or North America. I was wondering if anyone had any advice about the best times to apply or what is involved when applying. Thank you so much in advance ☺️

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The international recruitment season is already well under way. Usually end of September to around March. If you've not done so already you might want to sign up to an agency like Search. Must admit that in the five years we've been overseas now I've never seen an ad for an international school in Canada. Hopefully someone will come along with some more information for you shortly.

3. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

I currently work in North America, albeit on a temporary J1 visa, PM me if you'd like to ask specific questions.
    The British Schools here are now owned by a company, I'm not sure if I can mention them by name here. They normally have a big recruitment session in London, normally I January. I have been to one and it is very 'flashy', they are good at selling themselves. I still get job updates form them and I know there is a vacancy at their Chicago school at the moment.

riathompson likes this.
  4. riathompson

riathompson New commenter

Hi NikNak I’m really interested in this route. Would it be possible for me to pm you for more information? I’m intrigued as to how you’re finding it.

5. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

I have sent you a conversation.

6. aussie_teacher_nt

aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

Another option you have if you are a permanent worker is to trade jobs with a teacher in another commonwealth country. You get paid from your home country as do they but you get to experience a different educational context.

http://www.cyec.org.uk/exchanges/commonwealth-teacher-exchange

7. pattyneff

pattyneff New commenter

NikNak, can I send you a PM about this as well? I have some very specific questions about one of the schools in the chain. Thank you. :)

8. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

Hi NikNak, going to try and send you a conversation about the J-1 visa.

9. lateralligator

lateralligator New commenter

I'm currently working in the US and am on the J1 visa as well. If anyone wants specific details PM me.

10. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

Started a conversation with you. Thanks!

11. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

Yes, of course.

12. ellera

ellera New commenter

I'm at one of the American international schools. Recruitment starts for the first lot of jobs in January and then again April-ish time.

13. chloe_perren

chloe_perren New commenter

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the whole process. Please PM me (I'm not sure how to do it on here). Thank you!

14. 2mature

2mature New commenter

Hi I am trying to start a conversation with you about the J1 but cant seem to do so. Any chance you could start one with me when you get a chance. Thank you

15. dave12hughes

dave12hughes New commenter

There are a couple of organisations who operate the J1 visa route for teachers to come to the USA (presume they can't be named here but a quick google search will throw them up). Let me know if anyone wants info about coming with the best one ;)!

16. little_miss_indigo

little_miss_indigo New commenter

‘The best one’? Well, that depends on your experience with them and perspective of how they run their business.

I will agree. They were definitely a way of getting to teach in the US. Having done 5 years with them (and more or less being ignored/making them money), I’m not so sure that I’d want to come back and teach using their program (nothing against teaching in the USA though - why else would I have stayed the full 5 years?)!

17. dave12hughes

Seemed fairly obvious to me that my "best one" comment was tongue-in-cheek. I have knowledge of 2 organisations who run this program... one of whom I applied to and am now sponsored / employed by. From your comments, I would bet you came here with the other organisation. Not my experience at all, quite the opposite. Where we agree is that teaching in the USA is better than some seem to think!

18. little_miss_indigo

If the organization has the name that means ‘to take part’, then I believe we came here with the same organization/business. Whilst they have their good aspects, the way they have treated a friend of mine who really wanted to stay here beyond the 3 years (gave her the complete run around - making her hope, only to tell her by email - after several deadlines that actually meant she missed out on a job - that she had to pack her bags and leave), I have a different opinion of them. Sorry for that extremely long sentence! Also, from my personal experience, they would take days to return emails and phone calls. They always forgot that I was on a year round calendar. There are lovely people working there but please remember that they are a business and we make them a whole bunch of money.

19. dave12hughes

I am not here with them (the 'take part' people)... I'm with a different one (synonym of worldwide). After researching, timescales didn't fit with your company and mine made it work! I know it's a business but it's also a 'people business' and I've only got good things to say about the organisation I am here with.

20. little_miss_indigo

And you’re in NC? Wow! I didn’t realize there were other organizations who placed teachers in NC! Apologies for my error!

I have some good things to say too! I have loved my time here and I really don’t want to leave! T minus 2 days! My next adventure is Brazil!