1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in USA International Schools

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by obie77, Jan 6, 2018.

1. obie77

obie77 New commenter

Hi,

I am applying for Primary teaching positions in the USA, Huston and Charlotte. I am quite nervous about this, but I am looking to stretch my wings professionally and personally.

Does anyone have experience of teaching in these kinds of schools in the USA? I would really love some advice, not only on salary, housing etc but also working conditions, job roles etc.

I have been teaching for 16 years, I am SLT but I have also only taught in one school. I am really looking for positives as it will be easy to talk myself out of it! Though honesty about all factors would be so very appreciated!

Thank you

2. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

I sent you a PM.

chelle20 likes this.
  3. deliadiamond

deliadiamond New commenter

Would you also be able to PM me as well please?

4. Billybobbins

Billybobbins New commenter

Could you pm me too please? Thanks!

5. chelle20

chelle20 New commenter

Hello. If possible, can you pm me please? Thanks.

6. lateralligator

lateralligator New commenter

I'm in the US at the moment and I'm leaving this year. The political climate is a mess and frankly worrying especially as an expat moving into the country. I'd come back in a few years when it all settles down again. Also the cost of living over here is HIGH as well and taxes may as well be double dutch, I'm in California though and it is one of the most taxed states there is.

obie77 likes this.
  7. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

I returned to the UK in the summer after 3 years in the US and while I miss living out there, I don't miss the school I worked at.

If you're looking at jobs in a school, I would advise you to look at the jobs advertised at the school over the last couple of years if you can. If there are a lot, then I'd ask why. Given the locations you mentioned, I think I know who you are talking about and I know that Houston has had an awful lot of vacancies this year.

Also bear in mind the hassles when/if returning to the UK:
    1. it's expensive to come back and you probably won't get any relocation (minus tax) until after you return to the UK
    2. your credit rating is impacted as you are out of the country, so have no activity
    3. you may lose any no-claims bonuses accrued in the UK
    4. if you have kids, getting places at schools in the UK is a pain
    5. many UK schools still want you to be there physically for interviews (safeguarding cop-out) but won't reimburse expenses

obie77 likes this.
  8. obie77

obie77 New commenter

I thought the cost of living is lower than the UK, especially as it seems high over here and rising all the time! How do I find out about taxes?

9. lateralligator

From my experience definitely not cheaper! Everything is more expensive from your groceries to eating out. Certain things like the cinema are cheaper but the vast majority of things are more expensive. I do live in a very expensive state (California) and other places would be cheaper but it seems like most places where there is an international school is more expensive. I also used online websites to try and calculate my taxes but I pay way more than estimated. Just got my tax return so I can tell you soon if I have paid too much or the right amount. Feel free to Pm me if you have any other questions.

10. mm71

It depends on where you are and what you want to eat. I'd say that generally, eating out is cheaper and better all-round. The choice is amazing! Groceries though are very hit-and-miss. For example, fresh fruit & veg is always very expensive but beer is cheap. So what you lose, you gain in other ways. Look for supermarkets such as Food Lion; we used Safeway a lot at first and some can be very expensive depending on the area. Aldi is always good value but you'll end up going to Aldi for a lot of stuff and then nip to other supermarkets for the rest. This was why we loved Food lion; good range of brands , a nice atmosphere (at least in the Rockville one) and realistic prices too.

The tax system is annoying and if you're not careful, you can end up owing some at the end of the year, but you may also get a nice windfall. There are several online calculators that are accurate but it's all about your deductions and allowances such as spouse, children etc. Some people play it safe and claim no allowances on their pay and wait until the tax return so they are almost guaranteed a windfall. It often just feels like a big state and government savings scheme.

Car insurance is OK but the medical system there is a minefield. Primary care vs urgent care vs ER and all with different levels of co-pays and coverage!

11. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

I am in Washington DC and find cost of living much higher than I anticipated. The only thing I have found to be cheaper is petrol! Food shopping is expensive, eating out expensive, $192 dollars for a 6 minute doctors appointment, car insurance is $200 a month, no credit history as they will not take UK history into account but can't get a credit card to build one up, bought car outright as otherwise it was 22% interest on loan, rent for a one bedroomed apartment is $1800 (and that is cheap!!).

12. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

I'm in Florida and agree with the above poster. It's crazy expensive. My car insurance is over $200 a month and I'm charged a premium for utilities as I don't have a credit history here.
    I don't regret experiencing life here but I don't think it's the amazing place many think it will be.
    This is just my opinion; I am sure others love it.

13. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

US credit history: bear in mind this was well over ten years ago and the system might have changed. When I was there, I put $500 (I think) down with the bank. They gave me a credit card with a limit on it, which I seem to remember was lower than the amount I gave to the bank. I bought everything I could every month on the credit card and paid it off regularly and in a pretty short time, I had a credit history. Obviously once I had the history, I got rid of my bank's secured credit card and got my $500 back.

Capital One were the first people to offer me a normal US credit card, after a few months of having the secured bank one.

At that time, if you already had a UK American Express card (I didn't) you could get a US dollar one and that would build up your history.

14. mm71

Did Citibank not give you a credit card? When I started in DC we all opened a bank account and they gave us a credit card too

15. lateralligator

Hi everyone just a heads up about insurance. I only pay $88 a month and I'm with Geico so may be worth checking them out!

16. obie77

obie77 New commenter

Hi all,
    Thank you so much for all your advice, it has certainly given me lots to think about and research. I can think of many more questions I probably need to ask!
    Hopefully I will get further in my application and then we can start to plan next steps.

Thank you!

17. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

I'm with GEICO. I've no idea why mine is so expensive; I teach students with lower premiums!

18. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

I'm with GEICO too!

19. ml02slc

ml02slc New commenter

Sending you a PM.

obie77 likes this.
  20. seendee

seendee New commenter

Any international schools in USA I can apply to? Which website to search?
    Thanks