1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in US straight after getting a UK degree (QTS)?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by lucyrivers123, Apr 3, 2019.

  1. lucyrivers123

    lucyrivers123 New commenter


    I’m currently about to start a primary and early years education degree with QTS. My boyfriend lives in America and I plan to join him out there after my 3 year degree is over. I haven’t been able to find much information on my specific circumstance as I will have no official teaching experience in the UK. Does anyone know the steps I will have to take in order to be able to teach in the US? We will be living in kentucky for context. I have looked at their department of education website to try and find additional information but so far haven’t found anything to help.

    By the end of my degree I will have Qualified teachers status and around 20 weeks of placement.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  3. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    It's been discussed to death on this forum. Please try a search.
  4. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    As usual, gulfers is spot on. Yes, the topic of teaching in the U. S. of A. has indeed been done to death, resurrected, publicly stoned, hanged, drawn, quartered, embalmed, entombed and guess what? Yes, SOMEONE wants to revive it yet again. And again...

    No, teaching in the States is not impossible, especially if you happen to be married to an American. Therefore getting a ring on your finger, lucyrivers123, might be a big step towards your American teacher accreditation.

    I am not an American, as regular readers of the pachyderm's online ramblings will know well, but I have had quite a few American colleagues over the years and I have discussed this issue with them on a number of occasions. Generally speaking, it is not easy to get your UK teaching qualifications officially recognized in the US. Another problem is that there are some differences between the American curriculum and the UK's. On top of that, the individual states in the US have their own regulations and red-tape.

    Last but by no means least, I hope that Lucy Rivers is not your real name. Please DON'T use your real name on any sort of Internet forum. In fact, do not use your own photo as an avatar. (I am really a giraffe, but of course I do not want everyone to know about it.)
  5. Arepa

    Arepa New commenter

    An unrequested alternative. Since you plan to spend three years on a course for a degree that will not be easily accepted in the US, why not get your degree there (it will take 4 years, three if you attend summer schools). Moreover, you can get a visa as a student, be with your boyfriend, and easily find a job since you can get a licensure as part of your education.

    I have never heard of the government granting a visa to be with a boyfriend. For a student it is much easier.

    Good luck.
  6. dave12hughes

    dave12hughes New commenter

    To get your degree in the US you would be an international student, paying international student fees of an average $25k per year.

    There are a couple of cultural exchange visa routes for teachers but they require minimum 2 years teaching (post-qualifying). I am from the UK on a J1 visa in the US.

    I know subjects getting discussed over and over on separate threads annoys some people but even searching does not bring up the latest information. When I was researching teaching in the US, most of it was out of date as things change quickly.
    mymintpark and lardprao like this.
  7. makhnovite

    makhnovite Established commenter

    "as things change quickly"

    No they don't Dave, the important things stay the same, it is a long slow process, it can vary from state to state and even school district to school district, qualifications and even transcripts will need to be acquired, accredited and approved.

    Some of the small things might change i.e. there are now more private schools in the US that do the IB and will employ expat teachers, there are now more international schools in the US that will do the same, but the fundamentals do not change.

    You will notice that two of the very helpful Wooton's links are for only for the state of Kentucky!
  8. dave12hughes

    dave12hughes New commenter

    "quickly" as in some of the information I found on here was from 2005 - there's been 3 Presidents in that time and countless education reform bills passed in almost every state, teacher shortages in particular areas change, along with the various schemes to address the shortages. But I get your point.
  9. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    And please note that licensure is granted by the state government, and in almost every state the applicant must be a US citizen. So again, unlikely that studying in the US would help.
    Even if you lived in one of 3 (ish) states that would grant licensure to a non-citizen, any potential employer would still have to take on the mammoth endeavor of getting you a work visa, which generally includes some argument as to what makes you better than an American citizen. Hard to justify if you’re newly qualified with the same cert that everyone in your graduating class also holds.
  10. Arepa

    Arepa New commenter

    Kentucky does grant teacher certification to teachers trained outside the US. See https://education.ky.gov/teachers/NxGenProf/Pages/Certification.aspx and http://www.epsb.ky.gov/mod/page/view.php?id=209

    US Citizenship is not required, but a visa or Green Card would be. Easier to get, I think, if you are already in the states and have been studying there and have had work experience in local schools rather than applying from abroad. Indeed, if you did your teacher training in local school, they might sponsor your visa.

    Kentucky is not an expensive state. Full time fees at Western Kentucky University , for example, are about 14K.
  11. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    You can get the student visa relatively easily if you get accepted to a uni, can prove you have the financial resources to support you for the entire length of the program (tuition plus living expenses) and that you have every reason and intent to leave the US once you finish the program. In this case, having a US boyfriend works against you, because he is seen as a motivation to stay.
    But let’s say you succeed in the visa and the program. Good on ya. You still need an employer to take you on for an employment visa, which is completely separate from the student visa. One does not lead to the other.
  12. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Yes, gulfers is right, as per usual. There seems to have been an assumption, in quite a lot of these "Teaching in America" threads on the TES, that just because it might perhaps be possible for a Brit teacher to get a teaching post in the USA, it therefore means that lots of American schools are going to be falling over themselves to offer well-paid teaching jobs to inexperienced Limey teachers. Why would any school, in the U. S. of A. or anywhere else, be in a hurry to offer a job to a teacher who has little or no knowledge of the curriculum in that country?

    And would an employment visa be an extra, additional expense for the school? Why would the school want to pay for the visa, if there are plenty of American teachers looking for jobs?
  13. nemo.

    nemo. Occasional commenter

    3 years is a long time for that sort of long distance relationship at your age. Don't fret. 95% certain you won't be a couple by then!
  14. dave12hughes

    dave12hughes New commenter

    You certainly don't have the pick of any state you want. Certain states have shortages (for various reasons) and some states (like where I am) have a Global Education agenda, meaning they are pretty much falling over themselves to get International teachers on board.

Share This Page