1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in UAE...any advice?!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Fluffer, Aug 3, 2011.

1. i currently work for the 'Education Council'in said country, and have completed one year of my two year contract.
    The money is undoubtedly the reason that the majority of us are out here. It is good, but come s at a price. I don't know what jobs you are looking at, but I work in the Western Region, 2 hours from Abu Dhabi city so the experience I have is VERY different from someone working in the city.
    Abu Dhabi city is more reserved than Dubai, but you can still wear 'western' clothes and live a fairly 'normal' life. There are restrictions with regard to sexual relationships, so you need to be aware if you are 'entertaining' and you are not married, but much is pot luck as to whether you are found out or not. I know several people who have had boyfriends stay over with no problem, and know several others who have been reported and raided by the authorities.
    I work in a state sector KG school and have had a positive experience. Other teachers have had a hell of a time in their schools. Again, much of it is pot luck. . some schools will embrace the change, others will resisit and make life difficult as a poiint of principle. Much also depends on your attitude. The pedagigical approach has histroically been very teacher-directed, so it depends what you are used to and how flexible you are prepared to be.
    Culturally, there are a number of things I myself find difficult to accept, but again it is down to personal attitudes. I will do my second year, but then I will move on. I would not rule out returning at a future date, but would look at getting into the private sector, and certainly look towards Dubai or Abu Dhabi city rather than where I currently am.
    The heat is another thing to be considered, as it does get very hot. If you are a person who finds it difficult to cope in hot weather, be wary as.temperatures can get into top 40C/low 50C which is pretty toasty!
    It has certainly been an experience, and I would come back, but for me, a two year stint is enough in one go. If I can be of any more help, just ask. Best of luck in what ever you decide :)

2. Thank you very much for you response, your comments are very helpful :)

3. Thank you for the link :)

4. I am currently living in Abu Dhabi (right in the city) teaching in a private school with Emirati children but with the British curriculum. If you are to take a job there definately go for one in Abu Dhabi (city, not Emirate) or Dubai if you want a busy life. If you are happy with a quiet life then you could look at Al Ain or one of the other Emirates.
    I have a very good standard of living there. I make alot more money than I would in the UK, and as I have my apartment paid for by the school and with no taxes I am able to save quite a bit. It is an easy place to live in, although you often find out that out of work your life can tend to revolve around the mall, restaurants, bars and the beach. Which is great for many, but if you don't enjoy these then it may not be the place for you. And yes it does get very very hot, and the humidity makes it worse. At night it is usually still in the mid 30s in summer.
    Yes there are many cultural differences between the UK and the UAE. But it is probably the "easiest" country in the Middle East to live in. English is spoken everywhere and all signs, shops, etc have everything in English. Many people think you won't be able to drink, but you can. Just not over do it and act v drunk out in public. As Fluffer stated you have to be careful about boyfriends/girlfriends and relationships if you aren't married. Some people get away with it, some don't.
    School wise, they vary considerably depending on where you are. I have a much lighter work load than I would in the UK, which I am enjoying at the moment. But after having worked in international schools in a variety of countries for quite a few years now I feel I am getting out of touch of how it works in the UK. So staying here long term might not be the best option, especially if you want to advance your career. I'm plannign on 3 years, but maybe more if i continue to enjoy myself here.

5. Your thread makes for informative reading, tks, can I ask how would I go about the practicalities- how do I get a visa, other legal requirements?
    Also, wheree ins the best place for jobs adverts? And when is the best time? Any advise appreciated.

6. Any good school will sort your visa, accommodation, health care, annual flights etc in your package - don;t accept anything that doesn't include this as they are important here and if you don;t have them it will cost you a lot of money. Good luck x You will need to get your certificates attested before you come. Most will also pay shipping out and back when you leave the company and pay gratuity on end of contract.

7. I'm flying out this Thursday for my first international job and it has been a very straight forward process.

Saw the job on the TES Jobs section, applied and was asked to interview and subsequently offered the job.

As part of the contract they have organised the visa, flights, apartment and medical cover. I had to get my PGCE certificate attested by a solicitor, the FCO and the UAE Embassy but the school provided guidance on what to do. I have had to organise and pay for my stuff to be shipped out but I can claim that back when I arrive. They have also organised for a bank account to be opened for me.

Since being offered the job I have received many email updates about the school and life in Abu Dhabi and everything has gone to plan.... all I have left to do before Thursday is pack and get to the airport!

For general info about the UAE I have joined a few of the expat internet forums to search for/ask questions - these have been great to get for random questions because they have all been asked before!

My tip to anyone looking to apply for jobs soon would be to update your CV now. The job I applied for asked for a CV and it had been a few years since I had updated it. It was very laborious task remembering everything I had done under a time constraint and the workload of my job, I wish I had done it while I had the time to ensure I had covered everything in it and I could have just done the letter of application when applying for the job.

Good luck!

8. Dare we ask where you are working? Cryptic clues only please.