1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in U.S - British schools of....

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by scattywelsh, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Anyone got any experience of teaching in the U.S for a British curriculum based school group with schools in Chicago, Houston, Boston, Charlotte?

They company involved with their recruitment have called for references from my present employer....feeling very nervous as only put the application in as a last minute thing! Anyone know what any of these places are like to live?

2. Anyone got any experience of teaching in the U.S for a British curriculum based school group with schools in Chicago, Houston, Boston, Charlotte?

They company involved with their recruitment have called for references from my present employer....feeling very nervous as only put the application in as a last minute thing! Anyone know what any of these places are like to live?

3. I would be interested in info as well. I applied for a job here too. Not heard anything as of yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

4. I've applied too! Also waiting to hear, would be great if people could post if they hear as last year they only contacted those who got interviews so it was good to have an idea of when people had heard. Got an interview last year, made me want a job even more!

Exciting if they have taken up a reference for you!

5. Have been doing a little research - there have been some negative comments about BSA- would be interesting to hear from anyone who is over there now. Lets keep each other posted though!

6. Just bumping this to see if anyone has heard anything?!

7. Nope, nothing as yet! But my head wasn;t impressed by only being given one day to complete and return the reference!

8. There are threads on here regarding these schools if you look for them. I did when I was applying, came over here with an open mind, and have no regrets at all. I'm loving my new career in the states.

9. Hi, I haven't got any experience with them but I have an interview for one of them. I'm very excited/nervous! Any information anyone has would be great!

10. Mdcrow, well done.

Did they say why they changed their mind?

I too am wondering if files will be kept with Field Work Education if unsuccessful?

11. Hello, I just checked and the email was from Field Work Education. It
    did not have anything on it appart from confirmation I had got an
    interview for the Chicago School and details about the interview
    arrangements.The previous rejection emails that I got did not go into
    any detail about why I was rejected, or if they would keep my details
    on file. Anyway, will let you know what I find out at the interview!

12. Hey Mdcrow, what are you interviewing for and when is your interview? I'm MFL and got an interview on Friday!

13. The five schools in the BSA group are 'for profit" schools. For me, schools and profit don't mix as it means that making money is the objective rather than creating the best educational environment.
    Not sure what I think about this group. I've read so many negative comments on this site.

14. To make money the schools have to be <u>successful</u>. Why should that be any different to schools owned by trusts etc?. If they cut corners on investment and resources or pay teachers badly then the schools wouldn't last at all. There is a strange perception about for profit schools that I think is wrong!

15. Hello ml, my interview is on Thursday (tomorrow! argh!) for Primary. Good luck with yours- hopefully will see you in Chicago! OK, better go look up that train timetable.

16. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

A friend of mine worked in the Houston one for a year and had an appalling time. As someone said previously, the "for profit" element made the education bit secondary. She left after a year of her 2 year contract.

Obviously, I've not worked for them myself, but after seeing the state she was in, I would recommend being very careful.

17. Hi,
    I did get an interview in January this year for BSA. I flew, at my great expense, in to London for the interview. I thought the interview went well but had to keep chasing them to find out the outcome. I think that as much as we want to stay positive, some of the comments on thes forums are all true.
    Tread carefully!

18. I think if you've been rejected then it's easy to become bitter. I waited patiently for nearly 2 weeks to hear the outcome of my interview and am now working happily at a BSA school. How many people ever write a review for a company/product when they are happy?? Most reviews are written when people have something to complain about.

Those of us who work at BSA do so happily. I have a fantastic class, great collegues and enough cash to live in a nice apartment, go out every weekend, and travel back to the UK regularly.

Well done to those who were successful at interview :)

19. Or, maybe some reviews are from people who worked there and were hugely disappointed by it all.

Your experience of the schools is apparently not the same as mine was. I didn't want to 'settle' for what was on offer there. At the same time though I am pleased some people, like you, want to and enjoy working for the schools. No 'bitterness' from me, just reviews written from my perspective.

With that last point in mind, I suggest that anyone applying to work for the chain get as many viewpoints as possible, evaluate their own present employment situation and make a decision. If they get some so called 'bitter' responses then it will maybe help them to set their expectations. After all, I thought that this forum is a good place to air a range of differing and sometimes contradictory opinions (although some of those opinions have been deleted by the TES).

Good luck.

20. Well goatfed, I wish I had taken more notice of what was on these forums before I had invested in my own money.