1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ChloeB96, Oct 24, 2020.

1. ChloeB96

ChloeB96 New commenter

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I’m currently in my second year as a primary school teacher and considering my options for next year. I would really love to teach abroad in the USA, although I’m not sure on a) the logistics of this b) the best programmes to use and c) how long I want to go for.

I know there are some programmes that place teachers in areas e.g Virginia. I would prefer the more western states e.g Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, California etc but I’m struggling to find any programmes that offer placements in these areas. It all seems quite confusing with individual states’ teaching licenses as well.

I would also be happy to consider a teaching placement short term e.g 3-6 months although I can’t seem to find anything that offers this.

Really I’m just after some advice on programmes to use/experience if anyone has any thoughts to offer...

Thank you!

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Please search the forum. This has been discussed many times.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have never taught in the USA. My American colleagues have told me that quite a few states operate "closed shop" agreements with the teaching unions, so this might make some problems.

5. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

Hi,

I worked in Florida and went on a J1 VISA with a company called EPI. The company were fine and organised everything. They normally operate in The Carolina’s and Virginia as those states are the ones that normally have vacancies. My friend is still there though and mentioned Trump has stopped visas, so I’d research a little more. If you have any questions, please ask.

6. ChloeB96

ChloeB96 New commenter

Thats great thank you! Did you enjoy your experience with EPI? Would you recommend them? Thank you!

7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

There are teacher exchange programmes which you can go on, but you usually need to have a full time, permanent role and a number of years experience. It is possible to move to the US as an international teacher - there are some schools - but getting visas are difficult at times for employers (I used to know a teacher who had applied, done two interviews, and was about to be appointed to a state school when it became clear she wouldn't get a visa.)

That might change if the right person is allowed to win the current election. I love the US, but with the current regime in charge I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

8. NikNak01

NikNak01 New commenter

EPI were fine and made the process easy. I just really disliked living in Florida.