1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kjfowers1988, May 19, 2020.

  1. kjfowers1988

    kjfowers1988 New commenter


    My husband has recently looked into getting a new job (through his company) in the USA, specifically Indiana. I have been teaching for 10 years, mainly KS2 but recently in EYFS. I really enjoy teaching and I'm hoping to continue while over in America, but I'm not sure how I would do this or even where to look to find out more. I have tried looking on the internet but getting a bit confused by all the information.

    I have 3 young children (five, four and two) and I'm hoping they will flourish when we move and that they are young enough not to miss too much of our normal 'home' life in the UK. I understand things are a bit up in the air with COVID-19 but I want to try and get the facts before we make the final decision.

    If anyone can offer any advice, tips or expertise on the subject I would be very grateful.

    Thank you in advance
  2. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    The subject of teaching in the USA has come up quite a few times on this forum and on other ones too. Have a go with the "Search" facility and see what you find.
  3. kjfowers1988

    kjfowers1988 New commenter

    Thank you I have had a closer look around the site and found the US forum.
  4. amysdad

    amysdad Established commenter

    You might also want to look on the open forum on the site where international schools are reviewed (can't put the name here apparently) - teachers on there are predominantly US so might have a good idea how to go about it.
    kjfowers1988 likes this.
  5. Arepa

    Arepa New commenter

    If you can acquire a work visa through your husband, there should be no problem getting a job in an independent school (aside from the pandemic). Unlike the state sector, you would not have to get your credentials evaluated or take additional courses. An independent school can hire you at its own discretion.

    I once interviewed at an international school in Indianapolis. It was a good school. They were IB and were looking for international staff without having to go through the time and expense of getting visas for them.

    Indiana is not the most exciting or cosmopolitan place in the US, but it would be a good location to raise children. It is still quite quintessentially American.

    Good luck, you would find it an interesting place for a few years
    kjfowers1988 likes this.
  6. lsp22

    lsp22 New commenter

    I now live in Michigan and to work in a state/public school was a year long process to get my credentials 'translated'. It took a lot of time and money. I would advise speaking to the Department of Education in Indiana to check what you would need to do in order to get an Indiana teaching certificate. Depending where you move you maybe limited when it comes to non public schools to work in.
    HelloWanderlust and kjfowers1988 like this.
  7. Teachitdontpreachit

    Teachitdontpreachit New commenter

    Is there a search option on this community? I haven't been able to find one, which I've always found a bit strange. Maybe I'm being stupid and its staring me in the face lol
  8. lottee1000

    lottee1000 Occasional commenter

    Are you using your phone? It's almost impossible to find. Scroll right to the bottom, choose 'community' from the options, and then you'll find the search function. Be careful with the filters as well, and choose the frum you want to search, or it will search every word on the site, ever. So words like 'American' return 100s of 1000s of hits.
    kjfowers1988 likes this.
  9. HelloWanderlust

    HelloWanderlust New commenter

    If you can find the search (yes, it’s very hard to find on the phone) there is some good advice on this forum for teaching in the US.

    One thing to consider is if you would definitely be allowed to work. I have lived and worked in the US but everyone in my family (me, spouse and kids) all hold either American passports or Green cards. So visas aren’t an issue for us. When two “non-Americans” move to the US for work, the spouse is not necessarily given a work visa. I’ve known several Brit and Australian spouses who were not allowed to work.

    If you can work, each state has a different teaching requirement. Some states are easier than others to get a teaching certificate. I’m not sure what it would be like in Indiana. Initially I lived in one of the states with a more difficult certification. It was going to take a lot of time and money to transfer my PGCE over and I needed to do coursework on things I’d been teaching for years. I didn’t bother doing it and did other work/looked after the kids instead.

    I’m glad I didn’t bother because we then moved to another state anyway! This one had several international schools so my PGCE was perfectly fine and I didn’t need a local qualification.
    kjfowers1988 likes this.
  10. Teachitdontpreachit

    Teachitdontpreachit New commenter

    Thank you so much. I will try to find it. Yes I normally use my phone and have never been able to find the search option.
  11. kjfowers1988

    kjfowers1988 New commenter

    Brilliant thanks I have using my phone between sorting the kids and housework.

Share This Page