1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by aidey_a, Jan 18, 2016.

1. aidey_a

aidey_a New commenter

Hi,

I am very eager to get a job in the US starting August 2016. I have spent the last 6 months in Chicago on a holiday visa and would really love to be able to return. I have been keeping an eye on the International School websites as I was told job start appearing in January. However I haven't seen anything yet and I'm starting to worry. I was also told that they usually hold interviews in London in January and I don't want to miss that opportunity if it is true.

I'm really just looking for any advice/info on when jobs are advertised, where to look out for jobs and hoe to increase my chances of getting a job!

Thanks!

2. TonyGT

TonyGT Established commenter

Do a search. There are lots and lotr of similar threads on here.

How much experience do you have? I take it you have a gap in your employment since you've been on holiday for 6 months. The reason I ask is that the schools out there are very competitive.

As for the recruitment period - the big schools seemed to have a push earlier int he year with a few advertisements. There was a guy on here who managed to get one of the jobs so it may be that they recruit very early

3. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

I saw the adverts for the school in Chicago last month on here so maybe that was the one.

4. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

It used to be that they only recruited in London, the reason being that they liked young inexperienced teachers from the UK that wanted a two year holiday and not us old miserable ******* who knew the score and would not work for idiots for nothing!

Is that still the case?

5. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

Gosh, it replaced my bad language with a row of asterisks automatically - isn't technology wonderful!!

Shame though, it was colourful with out being rude imo

6. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I would surmise it is too late for the first round now for the school you are probably thinking of. The company that now own them are interviewing this week for many schools worldwide - it may be that you are lucky and there is a second round for your specific location.

Highly competitive (loads of folks want to work in the states) - salary goes a lot further now the exchange rate is more favourable, but it was always OK (ish). I also hear that salaries have been raised in the last couple of years as well. They will NEVER need to offer the big bucks, as there will always be people wanting to work there. If you get offered a job there take it. Great opportunity.

I have no current information on Chicago in particular - I used to work in another one of their schools in the US over ten years ago. I now work for the company that now own them in another location hence knowing about the recruitment going on.

The issue regarding recruiting from the UK used to be because they had to do that to satisfy the visa regulations (although for people they really wanted there were ways around that). Nowadays I don't know if that is still true. I think the visa class they bring you in on has also changed.