1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the USA Independent sector

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by hastings15, Feb 13, 2011.

  1. hastings15

    hastings15 New commenter

    We are thinking of going abroad and are interested in places such asFrance, Switzerland, Italy etc. but also the States. Some of the independent schools out there look fantastic, well-resourced, offering a wealth of opportunities for pupils. Does anyone know if you two Brits would be legible to apply for work in an American Independent school in terms of visas? Would we be able to get a working visa to allow us to hold a position in such schools?


  2. Technically,a school can sponsor you and your husband for a visa. But be aware that due to the dire employment situation in the US, any openings in independent schools will have literaly hundreds of applicants. It is very unlikely that a school will pay for a very expensive visa when they can find many qualified applicants at home for free. Unless you and your other half can offer something very special that a school cannot find nearby, it is unlikely that you should find anything. There are also J Visas, which only last for three years maximum. They are less expensive that the other visas. But again, unless both of you teach a shortage subject, most schools will hire locally.
  3. You are eligible to apply to any American school, however they will have to pay for and process either your H1B or J1 visas - you can't do this yourself. The recession is hitting very hard here and schools do not want to spend money especially when they can recruit without that cost. At the moment I'd say that the chances of being sponsored are slim to zero.
    Sorry to sound so negative but that's the situation at the moment. It's worth remembering though that the US is a very big country and things can't stay that way forever. Apply for anything that looks appropriate, you never know, you might just get lucky!!

  4. oops!! Sorry AlexanderBrady - just refreshed and realised I'd said almost exactly the same thing as you (not so eloquently though).
  5. hastings15

    hastings15 New commenter

    Thank you all for your posts. Very helpful. Looks like it is worth a try but not to be hopeful. Maybe Europe is the way forward or a British School in the US who I know hire from Britain.

  6. A Good friend of mine from university is now a head in an east coast school in the states, she is british, has gone through PGCE and further masters in education.
    so it is possible.
  7. Just to degress-what if you ar australian and can get the E-3 Visa?SEE:
    Would that cost the school? Is there any problems with it?

Share This Page