1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the USA/Australia

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by wannabedramateacher, Jan 17, 2012.

  1. Hello all,
    Does anybody know how easy it is to gain employment in the USA / Australia as a secondary drama teacher? Are qualified teachers in the UK also qualified there?
    Many Thanks :)
  2. I taught in Australia for a few years, returning last year.
    Firstly you are highly unlikely to be granted a 457 work visa as a teacher. Teachers are not in short supply. I could work as my husband had the working visa. Depending on your age you may, if under 30, be able to get a different visa.
    Secondly, each state has different rules and very different education systems. You'll need to take all your certificates and get a copy of your degree transcript as I was constantly pestered for this.
    Thirdly, I was only allowed to do supply work but this was ideal. I ended up at the same school for 2 years. Also everyone gets paid fortnightly which was very helpful.
    Lastly, I actually found it easier to get work in Australia than back in the Uk. As a qualified teacher you are entitled to a Job, you simply contact the department of education, have a meeting and wait for a call from a school. School life was quite relaxed, kids called teachers by first name and a LOT of swearing! (There are also private schools but they are generally very religious).
    I am not a drama teacher but Drama teachers were in huge demand especially at post 16 level. I was regularly asked if I could teach drama.
    Good luck. It is a great experience. Challenging, especially behaviour, but really good fun.
  3. blazer

    blazer Star commenter

    The forums on here


    work in a similar way to the ones on here. Go into there and ask some US teachrs. You will probably find that each state will have its own rules on this.

Share This Page