1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the US

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by CharWright2012, Feb 22, 2017.

  1. CharWright2012

    CharWright2012 New commenter


    My boyfriend has dual citizenship and wants to move over to the US for a few years to see if he likes living ther (his parents did it when they were younger). Just wanting any advice on what it's like gaining teaching work in the US. By the time I can move (if I like the US) I will have 2-3 years teaching experience as well as a 4 year BA(Hons) in Education. My boyfriend is looking to move the California.

    Any advice!
    Thanks :)
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    this topic has been covered in depth on this forum, i suggest you do a quick search for the topic.
  3. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    Your boyfriend has rights to move there. As a girlfriend you do not. Marry him and you'd have to complete a mountain of paperwork to get the right to live and work in the US.
  4. CharWright2012

    CharWright2012 New commenter

    I have searched all morning to find an answer to my queries but could not, hence why I thought I could post but clearly I need to search harder.
  5. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    From what i remember reading. Each state is completely different, and each comes with it own huge amount of red tape and hoops to jump through. Some states are a closed shop and you could not get a job without being part of the union. Add in the fact that as gulfgolf said, you have no automatic right to stay there, only your boyfriend does might make things difficult.

    California does have quite a few IB schools, so i would start looking into those.

    Either way by all accounts its really not an easy thing to do.

    Best of luck though.
  6. pizza15

    pizza15 New commenter

  7. miss_saigon

    miss_saigon New commenter

    The entire visa journey is lengthy & tough. Estimate from 7 to 10 years.

    Petition for the conditional/ temporary Green Card for a US citizen spouse to enter to the US: could take more than a year (this Green Card is only for 2 years)

    To remove the conditional status, and to get a 10-year Permanent Green Card: you need to prove that it is a bona-fide marriage= paperwork, collect many pieces of evidence, letters from friends (professional ones) to support your application... etc mountain of paperwork- (another 2 years waiting to get appoved) . Evidence to show to the USCIS that your marriage is "real" is very important, so you need to collect and keep them right at the beginning of your marriage.

    Once you get the 10-year permanent Green Card, if you want to apply for the US citizen= you need to wait for at least 3 year. To get the interview for the US citizen, to get an appoval from then & to take the Oath: another filing and waiting for at least 2 years.

    For each time when you file your application= the fees are more than $700. Biometrics need to get done many times to prove that you are the right "bride" who enter to the US = driving from 2 to 3 hours to a USCIS office in your state to get the finger prints done.

    The US govenment is craking down on the immigrations at the moment-the immigrants who are staying here illegally, and have no documents etc get deported or arrested. The Homeland Security is tightened up. So I am not sure the entire visa journey will get longer and longer or not.

    Good luck to you & feel free to ask me any questions!
  8. gulfgolf

    gulfgolf Established commenter

    States have different rules about what it takes to be eligible to work in a public school.
    But it's the federal government (the country not a state) that decides who has the right to live and/or work in the US overall.
  9. mikemcdonald25

    mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

    And surprise, surprise, it could well be getting harder with 'The Trumpster' in charge - good luck!
  10. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Yes, the best of British luck to you, CharWright2012. Reading through the posts above, it does seem that you are going to need all the luck you can get - or perhaps another boyfriend? Perhaps it would be heartless of me to mention it, but the chances are that most schools in the U. S. of A. probably will not accept your British teaching experience and qualifications.
  11. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    You can get an equivalency certificate. Thats where you pay a company to compare your qualifications and match them to a US level. A friend of mine had one done to get a job in an American school overseas. It roughly works out as a US Masters in education is the equivalent to our PGCE, or so i have been told.
  12. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    Well, dumbells66, I have never taught in the US, so maybe I really do not know what I am talking about. However, it might perhaps be the case that an equivalency certificate for an American schools overseas might not be equivalent to an equivalency certificate for an American school in America.
  13. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    from what i have found out, which admittedly is not a lot, it is quite a common practice. a lot of Canadians have to do it when they work over the border...even though their teacher training seems a lot more rigorous than the US.
  14. miss_saigon

    miss_saigon New commenter

    The credentials checked to get an equivalency certificate would cost more than $100. There are many agencies and you do not know which one(s) is professional and trustworthy.

    They have home-grown teachers in the US: many new young graduates each year, who are certified for more than one subject. They know and understand the American Educational System.

Share This Page