1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the UK

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by mrjoemaths, Jan 29, 2019.

1. mrjoemaths

mrjoemaths New commenter

Hi all,

Quick question - I'm currently teaching in an International School and our term finishes in July. I'm looking to come home and teach in the UK next year. Has anyone had experience of applying for UK schools from abroad?

I am happy with sending a CV and cover letter, but my main query is about the interview lesson. When I was last teaching in the UK this was part of the process. Is there any way I'd manage to get a job skipping this step? (I don't really want to pay 300 quid for a 13 hour flight home to do a lesson in a school and fly back the next day)

Is there a way around it? A colleague mentioned filming a lesson at my school, but would this be a safeguarding issue as I would be sharing a video of children with a company outside the school.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If it helps, I'm currently in Hong Kong, looking for a teaching job in Bristol/Bath.

Joe

2. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

Hi mrjoemaths,

The interview lesson would generally be part of any interview that you get invited in for. As you have been abroad, potential schools would be keen to see how you teach in relation to the National Curriculum (and see whether you demonstrate pedagogical strategies in line with curriculum changes).

One possible way to skip this step is to sign up with a supply agency.

Regards,
    Bukky

3. coxy15

coxy15 New commenter

I don't think it is required. The school I'm currently at has employed several teachers from Ireland, without the need for them to fly over. I'm not sure of the exact process, I think the formal interview is done via skype. I would doubt that you could film a lesson, for the safeguarding issues you acknowledged.

4. mrjoemaths

mrjoemaths New commenter

Thank you very much both of you for your replies! I guess I'll give it a go and see if they accept!

I've been teaching National Curriculum, but accept away from OFSTED, they may want to see I still know my stuff!

5. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

Skype interviews are becoming more common in the UK now. If the school still wants to see you teach they may ask you to send a video of a lesson at your current school.
    I moved back from Malaysia last summer and arranged my current job in England by having a Skype interview.

6. mrjoemaths

mrjoemaths New commenter

That's good to know Missbrody,thanks! Until 2 years ago I also worked in Malaysia at GIS in KL. Moved to Hong Kong, but have a small child now, so want to move back to be closer to family. Can I ask how it is teaching in the UK after being abroad for a while?