1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the UK - Primary school teacher from The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by RobinVdLee, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Dear all,

Next October, I will be starting my studies for a PhD degree in Cambridge. Ideally I would like to come to the UK together with my partner. She is currently finishing her studies to become a primary school teacher in The Netherlands. It is extremely difficult for us to get insights into the possibilities on finding a job for her; basically, we can only guess at the options.

I have been browsing the TES forums a bit, but could not find a clear cut answer for my case (although I understand that it is unlikely that there is one). Therefore, I would be extremely thankful to get some advice on a few questions consider the possibilities of finding my partner a job in Cambridge:

1. Could you advise me on the job possibilities in or nearby Cambridge, or in the United Kingdom in general, for a person who is qualified as a primary school teacher in The Netherlands? For example, can one reasonably expect to be allowed to teach at an English primary school? And if so,

2. What would be the chances of actually finding a job at such a school? For examples, is there a dire need for teachers in the UK?

3. What other options would there be to find my partner a suitable job, preferably in education? Any minor possibility would be a good one.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through my questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Robin

2. Dear all,

Next October, I will be starting my studies for a PhD degree in Cambridge. Ideally I would like to come to the UK together with my partner. She is currently finishing her studies to become a primary school teacher in The Netherlands. It is extremely difficult for us to get insights into the possibilities on finding a job for her; basically, we can only guess at the options.

I have been browsing the TES forums a bit, but could not find a clear cut answer for my case (although I understand that it is unlikely that there is one). Therefore, I would be extremely thankful to get some advice on a few questions consider the possibilities of finding my partner a job in Cambridge:

1. Could you advise me on the job possibilities in or nearby Cambridge, or in the United Kingdom in general, for a person who is qualified as a primary school teacher in The Netherlands? For example, can one reasonably expect to be allowed to teach at an English primary school? And if so,

2. What would be the chances of actually finding a job at such a school? For examples, is there a dire need for teachers in the UK?

3. What other options would there be to find my partner a suitable job, preferably in education? Any minor possibility would be a good one.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through my questions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Robin

3. AlongForTheRide

AlongForTheRide New commenter

When I was first teaching there used to be quite a few overseas trained teachers in schools in my county, although they tended to be in the less salubrious areas where the jobs were not so attractive. These days though, there are many UK primary trained teachers chasing too few jobs in most areas, so it's not as easy for non UK trained teachers to get jobs, even in the less desirable areas.
    I'm not sure how up to date the information is here, but this website has information for teachers trained in EU countries http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options/overseas-trained-teacher-programme.aspx

Your partner would be able to work as a primary school teacher in Cambridge or elsewhere in England, but if there are many applicants for a post and others have a good knowledge of the national curriculum here, it could be very difficult to secure a post. It's not impossible though.

4. Thank you very much for your answer. Really helpful!

5. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Hi,to add to above Cambridge Homerton College has a massive teacher training output, and there is a massive oversupply of primary school teachers in the UK. The maths is against her!

There is supposed to be easy transfer of qualifications between EEC states. My co form tutor got her QTS based on Polish teaching experience. To do this she needed a teaching cert+ 3 years home teaching experience. She got QTS with no induction requirement. She registered with the GTC

As I understand it (and the GTC are the people to ask) that she could get a NQT post. Issues are as above, and quality of her English.

Good luck with the PhD! and budget for 4-5 years to do it.......