1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by dardig, Mar 27, 2016.

1. dardig

dardig New commenter

Hey,

I'm currently a junior school teacher in Birmingham but I'm thinking about teaching in the UAE (Dubai, Abu Dhabi).

I would like some insight from those who are already teaching there.

Good and bad experiences, things I need to consider ...etc

Thank you :)

2. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Not to be unfriendly, but please wander through the forum and read up. Then ask specific questions if needed.
    TES helps those who help themselves.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have to agree with gulfers. There really are loads of posts about Dubai and the rest of the UAE. There are even one or two posts about the plural garden impliment school.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I was put off from teaching there as I constantly hear the children are ill disciplined (very rich so do not care) and it is impossible to teach. You are, in effect, a well paid play centre teacher. You do certainly see many people leaving and loads of jobs there at all times throughout the year.

Am sure there will be better schools but no doubt these are not looking for teachers.

5. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Very UNtrue. There are a wide range of schools there, but on the whole, behaviour is excellent, particularly when compared to working in many UK schools. Rich = Don't care? I found the vast majority of the expat children I taught, very motivated and involved in their learning. Parents also very interested (though one of the 'downsides' - if you can call it that - is that parents can become over-involved to the point of interfering, but this is only on a limited basis).

There are not really lots of people leaving each year, there are lots of schools and lots of teachers, so bound to be vacancies. A caveat to that would be that overseas teaching can be more transitory than in UK partly because the renewable contract situation results in a) schools regularly reviewing their needs and b) teachers regularly reviewing their situation and whether they want to move on to another country or school.

The turnover in UAE is not any different to other overseas schools.

You do get some 'not so good' schools which have a big turnover now and again, but this is in the minority.

I'm not sure where you got your opinion from D, but if you seriously want to work there, you might want to take another look :);)

6. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

What makes you want to move from the charms of Brum to Dubai?

7. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I have lived in both - it's a close call :)

9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Sounds good and yes, always best to get more opinions.

10. dardig

dardig New commenter

11. dardig

dardig New commenter

Think I'm ready for a change :). Recently, I travelled to Dubai and fell in love with the city. I know living and teaching is a different story but you only live once. and if I don't enjoy it, I can always comes back. At least I tried.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

As can be seen from recent news coverage, you are not on your own in wanting to move overseas. Many more teachers are going overseas as a better alternative to UK.

The downside of this is that there is more competition. My brother moved overseas in 1983 and had the choice of 3 jobs - Bahamas, Kenya and (can't remember the third). There were very few people willing to take the gamble then as little was known of working outside UK.

Regards the break in UK service, you are very likely to stay much longer than 2 years if you are like most people. The challenge is to keep updated and keep training. In addition, finding options to your teachers pension as you will not be able to pay in to this from overseas. If you are smart, and work at one of the higher paying schools, and don't go crazy partying and holidaying, you can quite easily save £30,000 per year as a mainscale teacher.

When I was in KSA, there was a member of staff who went to UK each Summer and would purchase 1 or 2 buy to let properties (using the cash as a deposit).

richardsonzanetta likes this.
  13. musikteech

I wouldn't go to 49ers in Dana hotel AD unless you're a single male :D Well, I'm talking about the time I was there in 2007. Don't know what it's like now. It got crowded with women!

14. musikteech

£30,000 is 157000AED so just under 15000AED a month. I know seekteachers were offering 21000AED a month for CELTA teachers last month but you had to pay your own accommodation out of that. That means you have 6000AED for rent and food per month. Don't know if that's doable or not to save 15k.

15. ampash

ampash New commenter

Hi,
    I'm after some advice if anyone can help.This is my first post here so apologies for any repeated questions. I've just recently gained my PGCE (with QTS) and have now started my induction year as a PPA cover teacher. Providing everything is okay and I pass, I will finish my induction year next March. My husband and I are are toying with the idea of me finding a teaching job in the the UAE after this but also are considering starting a family. Can anyone give any advice as to what would be best to do? What is like for anyone out there who is working and has become pregnant? What are maternity packages/pay like? Can your contract be cancelled because of this?. Apologies for the barrage of questions.I would also be grateful if someone could privately recommend some good schools with accommodation packages so I know which ones to look out for?
    Many thanks
    Ampash

16. the hippo

There have been rather a lot of posts about the UAE, ampash, so have a wander through this forum and you will probably find the answers to any questions you may have.

What makes a "good" school? This is a rather subjective thing.

Most schools in the UAE have accommodation packages, but there is a big difference between a spacious villa in a lovely compound (swimming pools, beautiful gardens and tennis courts) and a small, noisy apartment that is full of cockroaches and the AC does not work.

I am sorry if that all sounds a bit negative, but there are some awful schools in the UAE. (Some of the *** reviews are a bit over the top, admittedly.) Competition for jobs at the better schools is quite fierce, I believe, because there are fewer vacancies.

17. ampash

ampash New commenter

Thank you for your reply hippo. As many others, I probably want to avoid the noisy apartment with cockroaches. Would there be anyone who had is/has worked somewhere recently in a school that they are happy with and would recommend?
    Thanks
    Amna

18. the hippo

You can read lots of entertaining reviews of schools in the UAE in something called "The International Schools' Review".

19. Math-Worksheets-Galore

Math-Worksheets-Galore Occasional commenter

We have a friend over from the UAE and she teaches at the Australian International school - loves it and been there for four years and planning two more ... Gets free accommodation along with other Aussies - also one free flight home to Australia each year. She says that she is managing to save quite a substantial amount ... tough in the beginning, but rewarding.

20. the hippo

Most international schools in the ME provide accommodation and an annual return flight.