1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

teaching in the U.S

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kittenjames, Apr 20, 2012.

1. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

has anyone got any experience at all of teaching in america? i have an american passport and am starting to think i'd like to try. ideally i'd like to do kindergarten, but am primary (elementary!) trained (10 years). i just don't know where to start! can anyone offer any help or advice? cheers!

2. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

thank you so much for taking the time to reply. i literally have no idea where to start. i know that i want to teach in california, having travelled there and fallen in love. have you come from the u.k? how did you go about finding accommodation etc? would you say teaching is less stressful/life-consuming than it is in the u.k? thanks, KJ

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I came fom the UK when I was 13 and have lived here ever since so most of your questions for me don't really apply. I do have an aunt and 3 cousins who are teachers in the UK and we swap stories when we visit each other, so from that experience I would say being a teacher in either country is time consuming and stressfull. The latest buzzwords may be different but the basics are the same.
    I'm afraid I know little about California other than what I've seen on the news. The State Gov there has been slashing school budgets so the schools in poorer areas are woefully underfunded. The more affluent areas increase local taxes to make up the difference.

4. Busstopjen

Busstopjen New commenter

My colleague is a Cali native. She's a primary school teacher with years of experience and they laid her off 2 years ago. She's not been able to get a job in Cali since. She's by no means the only teacher this has happened to out there so you'll be facing lots of stiff competition from people who already have the license and the local experience. Maybe look at a different state to start off?