1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by HuskyLover, Sep 10, 2020.

1. HuskyLover

HuskyLover New commenter

HI. I have a question regarding which qualifications I need in order to work in international schools in the Netherlands. See, I have lived in several countries growing up, but by nationality I am Dutch. I do not know Dutch at a native level, only English. I want to teach in schools here as I live with my partner in The Netherlands, but because I had to choose a study in English, i could not opt for teacher training courses at the time. I have tried to get a job here in a school but because I do not have the qualifications I cannot. I was wondering if there was an online PGCE equivalent I could do in order to gain credentials to teach here. I am not wanting to go abroad for training, but I cannot study in Dutch either (I am B2 in Dutch, and although I technically an, I have tried and it has been too difficult to learn in Dutch), thus it need to be in English. I have been researching an not finding any course that I can take which would allow me to qualify as a teacher. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

2. funkymonkey

funkymonkey New commenter

My belief is that if you can get a school to 'sponsor you', ie allow you to do your practice in their school, then you can do a iPCGE. I have no idea how it actually works but I do know it exists and I know teachers who have completed them.

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

The international schools hire people without Dutch qualifications. Maybe speak with them?