1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the Middle East - January starts?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by SheikhandRattle, Sep 25, 2015.

1. SheikhandRattle

SheikhandRattle New commenter

Hi there,

I'm wanting to tap into the experience of folks who know about the jobs in the Gulf region. Is it usual for jobs to be advertised for a January start as well as jobs for the beginning of the academic year?

I'm planning on applying for jobs across the region (hopefully trying to avoid the UAE) and wanting to get some insight on this so I can plan a little better! :)

Thanks so much.

2. nicholascowan

nicholascowan New commenter

I grew up in Qatar, and we ran the british curriculum. The only occasions when teachers arrived in January were as a replacement for other teachers who left suddenly - i.e. they hated the country (some people do), they had children and the lack of british-style support encouraged them to move back to the UK, etc.

So if you're looking for a job in a british curriculum school that starts in January, you're looking at replacing a teacher who left suddenly. Generally, teachers would start new jobs in sept.

Nick

3. SheikhandRattle

SheikhandRattle New commenter

Cheers, Nick. Appreciate your help - I thought that this might be the case. :)

All the best.