1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the Middle East - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by priceke, Feb 6, 2018.

1. priceke

priceke New commenter

Yes I think we all realise that. I just wondered what would happen as I can't find a thread explaining it. Thanks though

2. priceke

priceke New commenter

Oh well this answers my question about whether you worked in this region! So what is the deal with the medical insurance because a lot of these schools offer it in their packages? Also keen to hear more about your views on China

3. priceke

priceke New commenter

I understand that but I mean what happens with the school you broke the contract with? Do they ask for a refund on flights they've paid for or anything like that? It is more so out of curiosity

4. priceke

priceke New commenter

Thank you for this. This is a very helpful response. Really interesting to hear you did go back out there too and glad that things have worked out for you (or so it seems). I think you have nailed it though with something I have considered which is make a list of what is important to me. Very much appreciated.

5. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

What happens is really impossible to say. Anything from nothing to everything. Including having to pay back all recruiting, moving and housing costs, plus maybe even the agency coming after for a fine. And being banned from the agency. The worst is incredibly rare. Usually somewhere in the middle. It all dear on the school, the contract, the agency and what exactly goes down leading to and through your departure.

6. priceke

priceke New commenter

Those are the sorts of things I thought might happen. It all seems fair enough in some ways. Thank you for that

7. Keanasmum

Keanasmum New commenter

I have been in Qatar for the past five years and never looked back. There are many advantages of teaching in the Middle East, work life balance is one of the most appealing for me. The most important thing to consider is the whole package when applying, not just the money that is offered. What accommodation package is provided? What are the working hours? What provision is in place for professional development? What opportunities are there for career progression? Does the school have local/international accreditation? How many hours a week are you given for PPA?
    It is difficult to get honest responses in some reviews, check out the websites, apply, go through the interview process and see what feels right for you.

Habena likes this.
  8. Rachi333

Rachi333 New commenter

I’m currently in the Middle East, UAE, been here since January 2017 and love it.

I have much more of a work life balance than I did before, and I’m at a great school with excellent staff and students. It’s like anywhere though - it’s a mixed bag. There’s some lovely schools and some awful ones. Some great packages and some awful ones. Even the UAE itself is incredibly mixed, depending on what you’re looking for, you’ve got the likes of Dubai if you’re wanting ‘busy city life’, but there’s a lot of quieter areas too if that’s what you prefer.

Also, and I can only speak from my experience, but I disagree with the poster that says all the good schools have already done their recruitment so anything left now is positions that couldn’t be filled. My school doesn’t operate like that at all. If you’re planning on leaving, you don’t even hand your notice in until after Christmas. When we come back in January, it’s the ‘resignation period’, and basically anyone who’s leaving has the entire month of January to hand in their notice (our deadline for handing in our resignations this year was 1st Feb, as this was the last working day of the week). The principal then starts advertising for all of the resigned posts at the same time, in February, and recruitment runs from then til around May. I also had a friend who worked for 5 years in another part of the Middle East (not the UAE) who’s school also did the same thing. Both my school and hers are BSME and BSO schools. So while I agree you definitely have to be wary about the schools you apply for, its not the case that all schools that are advertising now are doing so because they’re bad schools that couldn’t fill positions.

9. Lily217

Lily217 New commenter

Thank you Rachi this is good to hear!
    Are your school recruiting for this coming September? Or do you know of any good schools that are?

Thanks

10. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

Priceke, I think you mentioned that you had a Skype interview? Did anything come of it? One big advantage of the UAE must surely be the number of jobs advertised there. I have just checked TES and there are 270 jobs advertised! It is not true that most people leave the UAE after 2 years. I stayed for 10 years and know many teachers who have been there as long and are still there. I suggest Dubai if you are young and single and Abu Dhabi if you are a family or a bit older.
    Living, as I do now, in a country where English is not widely spoken and the weather is ****, has made me realize how wonderful it was to live in a country where English was the joint first language (with Arabic, of course, ) and the sun shone everyday. The UAE is an easy place to live and I always found loads to do.

11. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

When considering the UAE, or any other Middle East country, I would take the opinion of people who have actually lived there - not passed through the airport, or had a couple of weeks vacation there. Nobody ever learnt about living in a place doing either of those things!
    Similarly, other peoples’ opinions are not your own - just because a couple of people on here either like /dislike a place won’t give you a definitive answer as to whether YOU will, so take that in mind, and go wherever you do with an open mind.
    Just as with China, one of the main advantages for teachers is the sheer number of jobs in the Middle East, so in that way it is the land of opportunity; however, as has been said before, the quality of school varies hugely - some are rediculously good - as good as some of the best private schools in the UK... some are very low fee paying, and for-profit, and that means scrimping and saving by the owner at every turn, as well and 100% EAL students and pretty low wages (think the equivalent of UK pay).... and then there are ADEK schools (please, don’t even think about it!).
    I, personally, really enjoy living here - but my situation is probably different to yours!
    Good luck!

12. Rachi333

Rachi333 New commenter

No problem! Yes, I believe my school began advertising jobs for September last week, so recruitment has just begun for us. Not sure about others, but as I said previously, I know of at least one other good school in the Middle East that does recuritment the way mine does, starting from about February and stretching til around May, so I’m sure there’ll be others. Again, it’s about research. If you see a job advertisement, try and find out as much as you can about the school before making a decision on whether to apply. That can sometimes be easier said than done, and there will definitely be some schools being advertised that should be avoided, but there’ll also be some good ones in there too - it’s just trying to find them.

13. Lily217

Lily217 New commenter

Thank you Rachi!

14. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

All the jobs for me were gone by Christmas but for my husband they only started appearing in January. Makes it really hard for us finding jobs.

15. summerdayzz18

summerdayzz18 New commenter

Hi there Great post has put my mind at ease as I am looking to go to Adu Dhabi . Please excuse mu ignorance but what is an ADEK school?

16. february31st

february31st Established commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Countries like Oman and Jordan at least like the British!

17. Powergnome3

ADEK is the Abu Dhabi department for Education and Knowledge... if you like, it is the LEA of the Emirate. They run their own schools - basically the state school system over here... and if you cannot afford to send your child to a private school here, look out!
    There are plenty of stories on here about ADEK (or as they were known up until last year, ADEC, or sometimes referred to as MOE schools) - I wouldn’t work for one.
    I won’t even comment on the previous poster’s xenophobia. Needless to say, I enjoy living here.

18. february31st

february31st Established commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Wish there was a thumbs up or down on this site to allow people to vote on a post.

Give me a yes or no reply to vote.

19. Penny10p

Penny10p Occasional commenter

The ME gets a thumbs up from me!

20. Powergnome3

Tell us... apart from hearsay, what do you base this on? I’ve lived here for 4 years, many colleagues for 15+ - I feel VERY qualified to give advice on what it is like to live here... and although it is not perfect (nowhere is), the consensus among us is that it is a great place to live and work....are you qualified really to give an opinion?
    I have never been to China (although my wife has and didn’t think much of it in her week there) - but I have read and heard about the pollution and the vast chasm between rich and poor, and the terrible traffic... but as I have never lived there, I would never be so stupid as to verbalise an opinion about the place on a forum... let along denigrate it in such a nasty way as you have the Middle East (btw, for your information, both Oman and Jordan ARE part of the ME!)... shouldn’t you think the same way?