1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the Caymans

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by hdiddy, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone:
    We are considering a move to the Caymans if we can secure employment with the Ministry of Education. I would be applying to be a secondary teacher and my wife would be applying to be a teteacher's aide. We have 2 children, ages 10 and 9, and 2 dogs. There are a few things we are wondering about, and would appreciate any help you can offer.
    1. What are the working conditions like in government schools versus private schools?
    2. Will the government help to pay for private school tuition?
    Thanks!

2. Hi Everyone:
    We are considering a move to the Caymans if we can secure employment with the Ministry of Education. I would be applying to be a secondary teacher and my wife would be applying to be a teteacher's aide. We have 2 children, ages 10 and 9, and 2 dogs. There are a few things we are wondering about, and would appreciate any help you can offer.
    1. What are the working conditions like in government schools versus private schools?
    2. Will the government help to pay for private school tuition?
    Thanks!

3. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

Your second question is the easiest one to answer, no the Gov won't help pay for private tuition but if there is space your children can go to Gov schools. The ages are a bit different to UK schools. The cut off month is January 31st not August. Children in UK Y6 would be in Cayman Y7. Saying that I kept my children in UK year groups because I knew we would be coming back sometime. Other friends put their children in Cayman year groups, one child did Y7 twice and it did no harm.
    Working conditions are so subjective, it depends where you are used to teaching. If you are used to inner city children then you should have no problem with Cayman Gov schools. They are well resourced (or were a year ago, we've been back a year) but have quite large classes and small rooms. There is a new school being built but I don't know if it's finished yet, then the current Gov high school would split in two, which will make a difference.
    Taking your dogs over will be very expensive and you might find it difficult, intitally, to rent somewhere.
    The Cayman Islands are a great place to live and work if you like sun, sea and sand. If not, there isn't much else there! I know other people found the small nature of the place very difficult, everyone knows everyone, is related to everyone and has an opinion on everyone. If you can cope with that, you'll be fine!

4. 576

576 Established commenter

Katy - the new school at Frank Sound still isn't finished - though they say less than 6 months to completion.
    But Sept 2010 They set up the new system with 2 11-16 schools. 1 serving Bodden Town, East End and North Side. The other serving GeorgeTown and West Bay.

5. katycustard

Thanks for the update, where are the new schools then, is one on John Gray's site and one on George Hicks? What happened to Sixth form provision?

6. 576

576 Established commenter

Yeah - that's it exactly.
    6th form - not there.
    There is CIFEC which is a re-sit facility for those who don't meet the entry requirements for UCCI and they have part of what was George Hicks Campus.

7. katycustard

Thanks 576. On days like this, icy and cold I really miss Cayman!