1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in the cayman isles

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by treefrog101, Mar 15, 2018.

1. pillars500

pillars500 New commenter

ho
    how has your experience been so far?

2. jamieandphie

jamieandphie New commenter

Hi, happy to hear by pm the experiences of people...have just applied and feeling hopeful. Many thanks

3. treefrog101

treefrog101 New commenter

Hi, we are having a good time, the lifestyle is great, spending lots of time on the beach snorkelling, playing volleyball or in bars. The money just about stretches for 2 people but not especially affluent! Travel opportunities are not bad about 300 dollars return to Cuba, Jamaica, houndorus and America and other places in central, South America and Caribbean are easier to get to than from the UK. It has been pretty easy to make friends in the expat community, mainly with other educators. It is a small place so don't want to be too specific on here but happy to answer questions if I can. The government schools are currently going through an ofsted style inspection so you can get an impression of them by reading the reports which are online. All the best!

4. pillars500

pillars500 New commenter

I applied as well

5. pillars500

pillars500 New commenter

Wht is the interview process like? Did they video call you? How many persons on the panel? what were the questions like?

6. pillars500

pillars500 New commenter

Hy treefrog
    Ho w ha sthe experience been?

7. KGlasford

KGlasford New commenter

Hi Treefrog,

I am thinking of applying for a job out in Cayman Islands, is there any info that you could provide me with to help me with this decision?

Thanks!

8. Nyefaith

Nyefaith New commenter

I am happy to have found this chat forum.I am from the Caribbean. My husband and I are both certified teachers and we are thinking of applying for a teaching position for the new school term next year Sept in the Cayman Islands. We prefer the government system since we are already familiar with the British system. Can anyone tell me if the demand for teachers is high? We have two kids and already know the cost of living is high. However, I will love to hear from someone who made the move with their family. I really hope I can get some feedback. Thanks.

9. pillars500

pillars500 New commenter

Hey Jammie
    Have you gotten through or got a response re your application to the Cayman Island Gov?

10. russellchild3

russellchild3 New commenter

Update the public schools are going through massive upheavel. One infamous head is leaving after years of bullying staff and subjecting them to insults. If you plan to teach in public schools be prepared as no one will protect you from aggressive kids and bureaucratic management. The cost of living there is not worth it

11. Nev1980

Nev1980 New commenter

Hi there,

Wondering if you can advise me on a couple of things?? I have been successful in a recent interview for a post at a government school. I am trying to find out as much as I can before receiving final details of the package on offer.

1. Do you know if the government provide any support with regards to relocation from the UK? Flights, medical insurance, housing etc....
    2. Does a teachers salary allow for a reasonable standard of living or is it a case of scraping around financially each month to survive?
    3. Is there a teachers pay scale that I should be aware when taking into consideration the package that is offered to me?

Yours hoping..

Nick

12. Nev1980

Nev1980 New commenter

Hi there,

Wondering if you can advise me on a couple of things?? I have been successful in a recent interview for a post at a government school. I am trying to find out as much as I can before receiving final details of the package on offer.

1. Do you know if the government provide any support with regards to relocation from the UK? Flights, medical insurance, housing etc....
    2. Does a teachers salary allow for a reasonable standard of living or is it a case of scraping around financially each month to survive?(it is only me - no partner or kids)
    3. Is there a teachers pay scale that I should be aware when taking into consideration the package that is offered to me?

Yours hoping..

Nick

13. 576

576 Established commenter

Things may have changed but it's likewworking for a UK govt school. No package.
    Medical insurance is covered by the govt medical scheme.
    They'll put you in touch with a real estate agent but housing is not provided and neither is a housing allowance.
    There were beginning and end of contract flights, which then changed to beginning and end of employment, as part of a cost cutting exercise.

14. Nyefaith

Nyefaith New commenter

Hi Nick
    I take it you are in the Cayman Islands by now. Can you tell me the process of applying to the cayman government for a teaching position?Did you only fill out the online application form and the supplementary application form, or you also completed a cover letter? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

15. treefrog101

Did anyone make it out here this year? Looking forward to meeting you on Monday if you did!

16. treefrog101

I can't remember but it was the same as any other application process I have done.