1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Ninja, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Hi,

Thinking of going out there to teach. Can anyone offer any advice or recommendations?

I know you can't post names on here, so my email is littlepinkninja@googlemail.com

If it's not name related though, post away!!

Ta muchly!

Ninja xx

2. Hi,

Thinking of going out there to teach. Can anyone offer any advice or recommendations?

I know you can't post names on here, so my email is littlepinkninja@googlemail.com

If it's not name related though, post away!!

Ta muchly!

Ninja xx

3. Thormaturge

Thormaturge New commenter

Have you lived/worked abroad before?

I wouldn't recommend it as a first overseas gig for anyone. Culturally and emotionally Thai's are very different and many people wind up returning, uttering very understandable complaints about the locals being "rude", "inconsiderate", "dishonest", etc. etc. A lot of it is down to different perceptions. They think we are loud, brash, disrespectful, rude, and gullible.

How old are you? What teaching qualifications/experience do you have?

4. Hi Ninja

I don't agree with the previous poster. Thailand was my first experience of teaching abroad and I loved it. Thailand is a beautiful country and the Thais are wonderful people who have a deep respect for education. Yes the culture is different - but isn't that half of the point of going somewhere new? My advice is go for it, so long as you want to experience something new.

Be careful about your choice of school, though! They're not all as wonderful as the country and the people! Good luck!

Penguin and Co

5. There are lots of schools in Thailand, especially Bangkok. Some are fly by night places, with owners simply out to make a profit.Go for the more established ones.I must agree, it's rather strange logic to advise against an overseas job because the culture is different.....!

6. Hi Ninja

You have e-mail!

Penguin and Co

7. Well, if I tell you all what sort of place I'd like (!!!) and you can email me or post on here where to go avoid...

I want to be near enough to the city centre for night out and a social life. I want a nice school with pleasant kids and staff (don't we all eh??). I want my job to be about fun and learning, not crowd control.

In general, how does behaviour compare to here? I know there's going to be variables, but just in general.

8. Thormaturge

Thormaturge New commenter

"it's rather strange logic to advise against an overseas job because the culture is different.....!"

Parasite, I never advised against an overseas job per. se. I said Thailand would not be an easy option for someone who has never worked abroad before. Those for whom it works have a great time here, whilst for others who are less self-sufficient Thailand can be a total nightmare.

9. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Thailand cheap and full of western trappings. Surely a good first time post abroad. If you don't like abroad you won't like abroad.

10. HI there, I would also appreciate advice about teaching in Thailand. I would be on one income with 2 10 year olds and I am wondering if I would have enough to live on. I am currently teaching in Qatar, and although the wages are good, the cost of living is very high.
    If you could give me advice on which are the best schools, too, I would be eternally grateful! frncsmorgan@yahoo.co.uk
    Cheers