1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Thailand

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cjg44, Jan 8, 2016.

1. cjg44

cjg44 New commenter

I am looking at teaching positions in Thailand. There are a few which are located in Bangkok which I am interested in. I was hoping so done who has or is teaching there could advise as to how easy it would be to commute in from outside of the city? I would prefer not to live in the heart of it but not sure how practical it would be to commute and would like to get an idea before applying.

Thank you for any advice you are able to provide.

2. Thormaturge

Thormaturge New commenter

A lot depends upon how close the school is to a BTS (Skytrain), and you would need to live close to a BTS station, but is is do-able. Traffic in Bangkok is a horror story and driving in from the outskirts in the morning requires nerves of steel (Thailand has the world's second highest per capita road death toll) and can take hours. You don't want to do it, especially being new here. The BTS is crammed but it is clean, quick and air conditioned.

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What Thormaturge said. If near the BTS or MRT (underground), it'd be fine. Otherwise, you really don't want to be depending on the roads to get anywhere in a hurry.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

there are a number of Bangkok schools that have 100's of applications for each job, its a very desirable place to be. some of the smaller ones that are less desirable are further out of the city.

the BTS is awesome, its clean, efficient, and cheap, but you would need to be close to a station as the rest of the traffic in Bangkok, even outside the centre can be horrendous.