1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Thailand?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by rigadoon, Aug 28, 2011.

1. rigadoon

rigadoon New commenter

It's been my plan to go and teach abroad in an international primary school but I hadn't decided where. I want to go and do some travelling and experience living in a totally different culture. After spending some time in the summer in Thailand I'm thinking why not teach there! I met a teacher who was teaching in a school in Bangkok but I would like to teach in 'Chiang Mai as I am not sure I could cope with the chaos of Bangkok for too long! I've just finished my NQT year so am planning on doing another year in the UK so I will have 2 years experience and then trying to get a job next year. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on teaching in Thailand? How hard is it to get a job? Are all the jobs mainly based in Bangkok? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hi Rigadoon,

I am afraid I can't tell you much, except that you should expect to take a massive pay cut. I applied to a few schools in Thailand and the salary was £1000 less than what I earned whilst working in London. Living in Thailand is cheap, so with the salary you do get your standard of living over there would be fine, but you wouldn't be able to save much.

Hope that helps a little!

Fifi

3. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

Yes, you will take a massive pay cut, but that's only if you take a UK-centric view. You may earn less in figures but in tems of real earnings, ie, what you can get for your money, you are living in a totally different world.
    When we lived in London, we had two nice salaries, but absolutely no money left over after a month of scrimping and saving. Here in Bangkok, we're on half what we earned in the UK, have a nice four bedroom townhouse with a swimming pool, a fantastic work/life balance (home by 4pm at the latest most days), great if not the best-paying school to work at, great social life, awesome experiences for our kids, yearly bonus, yearly paid flights for the family, medical insurance, frequent trips to the beach and the islands... not to mention that the kids we teach want to learn, have no major discipline issues, etc.
    Sure, you may not be able to save much, but can you save much working in the UK?
    It might not always be paradise here, but it's not far off it most days.

4. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

Rubbish, you can save. Personally, I don't see how you can save much in the UK, you get paid more but everything costs a lot more. Living in Thailand is EXTREMELY cheap. The £1000 pay cut is more than compensated for the reduced cost in living. I taught English, earning £650 a month, lived very well, travelled and in the last 2 months saved £800 to bring home with me as well as going away for 3/4 of those weekends.

5. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

We save about 2000 quid a month, however, there are moves afoot here from the new government to curb the amount sent out of the country. Letters have gone out from banks this month to that effect, so it might be all going to change!
    Aye,
    Perce

6. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Good morning, sir.
    There will be many intriguing ways to wriggle around such a futile measure.
    Several South American governments produced bales of legislation to this end, often larded with rhetoric about treasonous leeches sucking the country's lifeblood, undercover hostile foreign interests, mercenary lackeys of neocolonialist capitalism etc (this mierda sounds marginally better in Spanish).
    It made not a whit of difference, and the outward flow of dollars proceeded in full spate. There is no reason to believe that the Thais (and their long-term guests) will be any less wily and pragmatic then the Argies.

7. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Sir,
    Always good to have another chat. Indeed one of the ladies in our staffroom was heard saying " it's time to go through customs with money in your knickers" I would imagine that this what happened in your countries too?