1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Thailand - Any advice appreciated

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kmrauber, Aug 18, 2019.

1. kmrauber

kmrauber New commenter

Hi all,
    I qualified as a primary school teacher in 2003. I also have a BA Hons in Business Admin and a certificate of advanced studies in drama. I worked as a KS2 class teacher in Oxford for 3 years before moving to Amsterdam to teach in the British School. Then I moved to Switzerland and I taught in a bilingual school (grade 3 & 4) for 2 years. I had my sons and took a break and have been working in a swiss public school for the last 10 years part-time, teaching English, music, drama and art. I have an excellent track record and portfolio of evidence and referees.
    I want to move to Thailand with my 2 sons next summer but I am not sure which schools to apply to and ideally I would want to work in a school that teaches the IB programme as my sons could continue with that when we eventually return to Switzerland.
    I am unsure about the police check procedure as I haven`t lived in the UK for a long time and also about my lack of current UK curriculum experience? I´m also turning 50 in September (but a young fit and energetic 50)
    Can anybody give me some insight into schools and what it´s like to live out there with kids and teach in the international schools.
    Thanks in advance, Katie.

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

Firstly, your age probably will not make any difference, it will be the experience that the schools look for. Likewise your lack of UK curriculum experience, unless you are going to aim for specific "British" schools. There are a few all through IB Schools which would certainly be worth looking at but, as ever, it will depend upon whether or not there are vacancies for your particular area of expertise when you are applying. Odd to say but schools are just about to begin their first trawl of "who is leaving this year" so that they can get their adverts in in November and December in order to try to attract the best recruits. From what you write there is certainly nothing stopping yo moving out here. If you would like more detailed information regarding specific schools I suggest that you send me a PM and I will be able to be more candid.

Cheers,

Perce

3. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

Agree that your age is unlikely to be a barrier in Thailand, and your experience looks good for an IB school. You're welcome to PM me too for advice on specific schools but I would recommend just keeping your eye on the TES and applying for anything of interest as it comes up. It won't be too long before the earliest ads go up, then there will be lots from Dec-Feb, then a few more after that. Best of luck!