1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Teaching in Tanzania

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by brenda_goodchild, Sep 7, 2017.

1. brenda_goodchild

brenda_goodchild New commenter

Hi All,

I have been working at my local primary school for a year and half and I was hoping to teach in Tanzania in the next academic year. I was wondering what it's like to teach other there? I was wondering if anyone has an contacts for primary schools other there? Fingers crossed this dream will happen next year :)

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

couple of good IB schools over there, just google it

3. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Maybe widen your net. There are several international schools in Kenya too.

4. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

We're not allowed to mention specific schools so it's hard to help you here, but if you start a conversation with me, I can help a little. I worked in Kenya and know people working in Tanzania.

5. KolleyKibber

KolleyKibber New commenter

I worked in Tanzania for four years until July. I was based in Arusha. All of the three main international schools have excellent headteachers - two Cambridge IGCSE/A Level and one IB. I'd happily work at my old school again, or either of the other two for that matter. It's a stunningly beautiful country and I loved the fact that I could go off and do something different every weekend - be that mountaineering, going on safari and flying to the coast. One concern at the moment is that the government are beginning to take a tougher line regarding visas. It's becoming increasingly difficult to renew after four years...

WOMANONAMISSION50 likes this.
  6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

i thought they had withdrawn the 4 year rule?

7. KolleyKibber

KolleyKibber New commenter

The last time I'd heard is that schools (particularly the IB ones) were still having difficulties with it. That may have changed in the last month though...

8. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Two friends worked in Mwanza and really loved it, although it's a trek from a decent airport

9. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

A few years ago now, a smelly and wrinkled swamp-dweller wrote a TES article about the joys (and the horrors) of teaching in Kenya. If the OP were to dig around in the dusty TES archives, then maybe she might find my article.

What actually happened to my article was this. As the TES staff are such good, honest, hard-working and helpful people, the so-called "editor" completely mangled what I had written, took out anything about the downsides (they don't call it "Nairobbery" for nothing and no, malaria is not really much fun), stuck someone else's name at the top of the article - or what was left of it - and then did not send me one single penny for my literary and journalistic efforts. Oh thank you, thank you, TES! With friends like you, who needs enemies?

One does not need to bribe or twist -
    Thank God! - the British journalist,
    But seeing what that man will do
    Unbribed, there's no occasion to.

10. notinenglandanymore

notinenglandanymore New commenter

I'm in Tanzania at the moment. I've only been here for two weeks but feel free to PM me with any specific questions.